Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kantieno

Quick Games if You are in a Rut

This topic is 1832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been working on a flash game called "Hidden Valley Ninja" for the past several months, and teaching myself more about art and music. I finally got it up for sponsorship earlier this month. But by the end of it I was pretty burned out, and tired of working on that game. So I decided to do a quick one week game. I really enjoyed making this one and getting to start on something fresh after so many months. It is just a small idle game I made, so it may not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed making it!

I think that anyone who is in a rut right now or just wants to work on something different, should take the next week off and make some small game. I feel refreshed after getting this one completed and feel ready to move onto my next projects.

Even though it is just a small game, feedback is still appreciated! If you want to see it you can go here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/kantieno/ninja-battle-idle

Advertisement

I couldn't figure how to properly play it I think.. I couldn't upgrade because it doesn't pause the game.. All I did was basically click the screen. Can you explain a little better?

Sure! I have always liked idle game, and decided I wanted to make one as a small project. Idle games are kind of hit or miss on whether you like these types of games. They are usually not very interactive and are typically a game that you leave running, to automatically level up and occasionally upgrade, however they often have some way that grants you bonuses whenever you actively play it. In terms of gameplay idle games don't offer much but I find them useful to practice developing and I like playing idle games, they can be fun in a strange way, even though they are kind of pointless.

In this game, I made it so that you automatically run and fight monsters to earn gold, you can also buy upgrades with that gold in order to fight new monsters and gain more mode. You can also click the screen to fill up the frenzy bar faster and to keep it in frenzy mode. To access the upgrades you can just click on the upgrades button, (its okay if you stop clicking so much while you are buying upgrades, you can easily fill the frenzy bar back up) and the game doesn't pause while you do this, so you can continue gaining gold.

Some people like idle games some people just think they are a waste of time, but I think it could be worthwhile to program one if you are a new developer, just so you can have practice with different game concepts.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!