Sign in to follow this  
Monskey8

Is using Java a good way to create a game?

Monskey8    113
I've recently started learning Java, and seem to be picking it up quite well. I know that there are many games written in Java, and was wondering if this was a good choice to create my first game. I'm leaning towards a 2D RPG/Adventure game.

EarthBanana    1794

yeah java is legit for making games - either using game/rendering libraries or making your own

also it is a good beginner language as it does garbage collection for you - it also can be fairly powerful (used to make minecraft with opengl)

Edited by EarthBanana

boogyman19946    1487

Java is fine as any other language to make your first game, but a RPG game isn't in my opinion.

That's a rather particular genre that this general purpose language can't seem to handle correctly. Why do you think so?

EDIT: Oops, Sorry, I totally misread that post. I thought you were saying that Java isn't good for RPG games, but I understand hope (otherwise the question stands :D) that this is not the case. Thanks AlanSmithee for point that out!

Edited by boogyman19946

AlanSmithee    2102

Java is fine as any other language to make your first game, but a RPG game isn't in my opinion.

That's a rather particular genre that this general purpose language can't seem to handle correctly. Why do you think so?

He was probably referring to the "make your first game" and not the coding language ^^ (as in a RPG might not be the best genre to try as your first language) I don't have any opinions on that though.

Edit* Maybe you were just making a joke boogyman.. Wouldn't be the first (or last) time sarcasm got the best of me over the internetz lol

Edited by AlanSmithee

ballmar    1586

If you are not planning on reaching AAA quality of your game and don't want to get the max out of your gear, Java is perfectly fine.

Monskey8    113

Wow, thank you all for the excellent responses. I'm following several different tutorials to not only learn Java, but more specifically, to learn how to use Java in OpenGL and LWJGL. As for the graphics, the tutorial I am following is basically saying the best way is to use openGL. Does this mean that I won't be drawing any myself, but making the program draw them?

EarthBanana    1794

OpenGL is an interface for the video card - so calling opengl functions is the way that you ask the video card to draw stuff - you aren't actually "drawing" anything yourself - you provide opengl with the data by calling functions and then you have it draw using that data by again calling functions

Monskey8    113

OpenGL is an interface for the video card - so calling opengl functions is the way that you ask the video card to draw stuff - you aren't actually "drawing" anything yourself - you provide opengl with the data by calling functions and then you have it draw using that data by again calling functions

Okay, and what if I wanted to "draw" characters? Would I have to be able to determine a bunch of coordinates, height, width, etc. for each character I want designed?

EarthBanana    1794

You would draw your character sprite sheets (assuming you are talking 2d here) on regular image formats - png, jpg, whatever - then you would render those images on to quads which will have dimensions determined by the vertices that make up the quad.. a quad consists of 2 triangles which is 6 vertices..

The process of drawing the quad and rendering a loaded texture to that quad is different if you are using shaders or not - it is at least a few pages to describe these processes but there should be plenty of tutorials on how to do this using java/opengl

basically your characters would be sections of a sprite sheet texture rendered on to the quad - you can transform this quad around the screen and cycle through your sprite sheet to animate the character

Serapth    6671

I spent many many many many moons selecting a game engine / programming language combo that fit my criteria ( 2d/3d support, cross platform, code focused, quick, productive, good community ), trying literally hundreds of libraries and at the end of the day I went with Java and LibGDX.

Ironically, I am not even all that big of a Java fan.  After years as a C# programmer, Java feels like a warty C# to me.  The library however ultimately won me over.