Python or Java?

Started by
18 comments, last by fir 10 years, 2 months ago
About a week ago I started learning Python.
I started from scratch (meaning i knew NOTHING about programming),
and so far i only know some basics (Variables, Strings, Lists, Functions etc).
I learned from TheNewBoston's video guides on youtube, and I got up to episode 16 (out of about 43 i believe).
So far I have only made some extremely basic stuff, such as a program that asks you to input 5 numbers and then tells you which of the numbers you typed is the biggest (really simple stuff).
From reading around some more, I came to realize that Java is much more efficient than python for creating full scale iOS and PC games (that's what im aiming for).
So my question is:
Should I drop python and start learning java (which would be harder, but better for my goals in the long run- python might be just a waste of time, and i should master java instead), or go on with python because i'm already a used to it, and learn a different language only when I have already mastered it (the only reason I chose python is because I read that it was easy to pick up- again, I know nothing about programming).
and another small question: how much time of language learning does it take to make a game, even a game as basic as "tic tac toe"?
and how does a fully developed game's (let's say a 2D platform adventure game) script looks like? Whats its length? can anyone send an example?
thanks in advance
Advertisement

I second this: d4n1 has the right idea -- focus on learning game programming, not learning a language (if that's what you want to learn). Pick the language best for you (especially since you're starting out only a week ago) and learn the language. From there focus on game programming, not game programming in *this language I chose to learn*. The language is the tool; the real idea is using the best tool for the job.

Is your goal in life to learn languages, or use languages to make awesome stuff?

I don't want to learn as many languages as possible if that's what you mean by "learn languages".

I want to master a language or two and be able to use them to make awesome stuff

I second this: d4n1 has the right idea -- focus on learning game programming, not learning a language (if that's what you want to learn). Pick the language best for you (especially since you're starting out only a week ago) and learn the language. From there focus on game programming, not game programming in *this language I chose to learn*. The language is the tool; the real idea is using the best tool for the job.

so your'e saying that this: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEA1FEF17E1E5C0DA (what im studying from) is for learning the language it self in depth, and will not eventually get me to making a game?

so where should i learn from?

and how do i know the "best programming language" for my needs?

so your'e saying that this: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEA1FEF17E1E5C0DA (what im studying from) is for learning the language it self in depth, and will not eventually get me to making a game?

Start by learning a language and how to program, the language you choose is irrelevant as long as it is reasonably popular(Learning how to program is far harder than learning a language and both your needs and the languages available will change over time), The new bostons python tutorials cover the very basics, nothing more, once you've worked through them i'd recommend looking at the official documentation and getting a decent book, pick a small project to work on to put what you've learned to practical use.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

If you already started with python, stick to it. Python is perfectly fine as a language and also specifically for game development.

Java is better for Android development, but for the PC, neither has any real advantage in the sense of deployment or availability. Most people have a Java VM installed, but Python can be packed pretty small and distributed with your game (py2exe even makes an executable file from it).

Python has good enough performance for everything you might want to do in the first years (and it will take years before you can think about making anything "big"). You will also be able to transfer all your python knowledge to Java later. Most experienced programmers can pick up a new programming language in a matter of days or weeks, because they know the concepts and only need to learn how to express them in the new language.

I suggest you stick with Python, learn how to program (which is easier in Python than in Java, imho) and once you really need it, switch to Java. But that will probably not be before the end of the year or so, if you really want to learn the concept correctly.

Yes you need to learn a language or two to actually program. But keep an eye on the bigger picture: you are learning to program, not to program just in Python. Things like variables, functions, etc. are all applicable to many, many languages that's all. For now, sticking to python and using that tool to learn programming, and then game programming, is your best bet. You can then move to Java, or C++, or anything else and it'll be easier to transfer your knowledge from language to language.

Learning the "best" programming language for your needs is a science and an art. In the future, you'll have experienced using different languages. As you work with Python, you'll notice what it does well and what it's not good at. If you later move to Java, you'll notice the same thing for that language. As time goes on, you'll have intuition. If there's another language you don't know, but think it might be a good one, just do some research, test the language out, etc.

From reading around some more, I came to realize that Java is much more efficient than python for creating full scale iOS and PC games (that's what im aiming for).

Efficiency is one of the last things you should worry about as a beginner. You're not exactly going to be writing Battlefield 5. Focus on what you find easiest to work with for now which certainly will be influenced by familiarity (so sticking with Python if you're already started down the road is very valuable). Given a year or three of experience you'll have the knowledge to not only make a choice between languages for new projects but also be able to ask the right questions.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

I'm with Sean on the point of efficiency. You should not worry about it unless you're making some truly performance critical software, and if you're not sure if your software is performance critical, then it's a safe bet that you're not writing it.

Now, on the note of learning programming, you're off to a good start. You first have to learn the basics of some language in order to start using it. This part is relatively straight forward. Which language you pick, however, will determine how easy the rest of your learning is going to be.

Second, you have to clock in a lot of practice, and if you intend to take programming seriously, then you must take your practice seriously. You cannot get rid of this step. In order to become an effective programmer, you must gain a certain amount of experience that you cannot read in books. Books are a great starting point, but they don't work very well with our memory. In order to remember something, you must repeat it. The more you work with it, the more available the knowledge becomes to you.

Third, while you practice your programming chops, feel free to expand your knowledge in other areas. Programming can only get you so far. Programming is a tool, not a magical solution to everything. If you don't know classical mechanics very well, then your game physics code will reflect that with the results it's producing. You must know how to do something before you can tell the computer to do it, therefore, study! Knowledge can't hurt, and you can gain many benefits from it.

You'll notice I didn't mention anything about your Java vs Python question. That's because your question should be self-explanatory after reading the rest of your post. You're making progress in Python, so it would be silly to scrap that and start somewhere else.

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement