Is SDL supported on consoles?

Started by
3 comments, last by FGFS 10 years, 3 months ago

Is SDL supported on game consoles systems? If so, which ones? If not, why not?

Advertisement

No, as for why you would have to ask the SDL developers.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I used to mess around with dreamcast and dreamcast had a sdl port I believe there was a playstation port as well. The main reason that comes to mind is consoles need development kits and try to stay proprietary things that are open to indie developers like xdk is its own framework and c# so it doesnt need sdl and would require a bit of work.

Wii also has a sdl port im sure theres more out there.

The official system libraries are not written around SDL. If you have access to a legitimately licensed devkit you will have far more powerful libraries available to you than SDL.

If you are doing homebrew development, yes, several systems have incomplete SDL ports, including the Wii, Dreamcast, and PX1.

X360 never saw much need for it because interested developers could use XNA, and most of the serious PS3 users who actually cared about homebrew development bought old, unpached machines with OtherOS and Linux on them or patched around it. Major homebrew game projects on PS3 after the OtherOS removal was mostly dead, and I doubt a full port exists for PS3 SDL.

The upcoming SteamBox surely does and personally I wouldn't care about much else as for consoles... PS4 proably as well, as it's FreeBSD based, although

I don't know much about that. All major mobiles should do as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement