interesting Games/Genres a single developer can create?

Started by
11 comments, last by Nathan2222_old 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm curios, what kind of genres/games in your opinion are well suited for a single developer (or a very small team) that most people (if well made) would actually enjoy playing, or that could even be commercially successfull?

for example, a mmorpg definitly isn't something you want to create as a single developer, a tower defense however is doable.

A typical rougelike (in ascii) is absolutly realistic for a single developer, but it's a genre that only a handful of people enjoy. In my opinion the same goes for retro games.

Im especially interested in genres that aren't already oversaturated. For example Tower defences can be fun and are easy to do, but because of that there are already plenty of them out there so that your game would most likely get no attention.

Some genres and games that, in my opinion, would fit these criteria:

Dwarf Fortress clones with graphics and ui - like Gnomoria, castle story and Rimworld.

Games with Rougelikes elements - like the binding of issac and faster then light.

Point and click Adventure Games

(edna and harvey the breakout or the cat lady have both been created by a single developer and both have been sold afaik)

Survival Games and Subgenres of it,

for example horrorsurvival like miasmata or procedurally generated ones (like minecraft and clones of it).

Even though games of that genre are better suited for a small team i guess.

What Genres would you suggest?

Advertisement

It's about time for another Katamari Damacy-like surprise hit to emerge, as people have pretty much forgotten about Katamari Damacy. That's a game type that one developer with some funding for content packs could make. I'd like to see a music composition teaching toy, that doesn't have extremely wide appeal but again is something one developer could make. I think we're also about due for a new tamagotchi or tamagotchi/furby hybrid or furby/remote control dino hybrid, but that's as much of a hardware project as a software project. I wonder if anyone's made an Eliza app for people to pretend to call on their phones yet.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

2d platformers (cave story, unepic, dust an elysian tail, intrusions 2..-> all made by one)

at present, Minecraft clones are fairly popular, but as a person who has made a game generally labelled as this sort (it uses voxel worlds and similar block-types), there is hardly anyone actually interested in playing it, and a lot of random people hating on the project, ...

but, yeah, a basic MC clone probably is within the realm of what is doable by a single person at least.

marketable? well, that is another issue...

For example Tower defences can be fun and are easy to do, but because of that there are already plenty of them out there so that your game would most likely get no attention.
I sincerely hope you're wrong! There cannot be enough TD games. Like FPS or candy crush levels...

Previously "Krohm"

Games that are remakes of, or are inspired by, those from the 8 bit era but with better graphics and sound. There was a lot of innovation going on then as the genres weren't so well defined - they are a mine of unusual game ideas. Many of the games, particularly for the largely UK micros like the ZX Spectrum and the BBC Micro were written by "bedroom programmers" so would be ideal for solo developers/small teams.

Download some emulators and games and have a look.

The best suitable games for a single developer team is puzzle games and platformers, but those genres are already oversaturated... If you're looking for a genre that doesn't count that many clones, you should make a first-person puzzler.

It's challenging to make one on your own, but it's doable! Antichamber was developped by only one guy, The Stanley Parable by 1-2 people.

Just do what all the hip developer are doing these days. Create "Generic Platformer Vol. IV" slap in some 8-bit graphics and sound effects, and market it as retro and cool. Congratulations you're now a millionaire.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

What about games such as FTL? the 2d dungeon crawl can always allow for creativity and awesomeness! Everyone loves a good, challenging dungeon crawl.

Isn't any game possible for single dev as far as it isn't large scale?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement