Visual Studio .Net

Started by
11 comments, last by doodah2001 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m just curious what everybody''s thoughts are about Microsoft''s Visual Studio .Net especially those of you who have the beta version. I''m in college right for a computer science major and I get academic pricing on software which is really nice. I was wondering if it would be better to wait for .Net or go ahead and buy Visual Studio 6. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Mat
MatDoodah2001@hotmail.comLife is only as fun as you make it!!!
Advertisement
<drool type="Homer">Visual Studio .NET...</drool>

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
/me slobbers...
Delicious interface... regions... CLR... general improvements over what is arguably the best Microsoft product on the market...

Buy it!
I''d say wait a bit. .NET is the next generation...and it''s well worth the wait. You don''t want to be proficient in yester-year''s technology....

Also, you can pick up a free beta DVD by getting any one of a host of magazines...or by paying $10 for a copy from MS.

Epolevne
*joins in with the drooling*
Mmmm ... a faster, more standards-compliant compiler ...

~~~~~~~~~~
FreeBSD.org - worship the Daemon!
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I have a couples questions for someone here who has used VS7:
  • Does new throw an exception now?
  • Does it support the export keyword for templates?
  • Will this code work now (it doesn''t in MSVC 6.0, but it does in Borland and GCC):
      template <int Num> float rPowTemplate(float X) {  return (X * rPowTemplate <Num-1> (X));}template <> float rPowTemplate <1> (float X) {  return X;}template <> float rPowTemplate <0> (float X) {  return 1.0f;}  

Thanks . Also, Doodah2001, sorry for attaching myself to your thread. I''ll justify this post by giving you reasons to or not to wait .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
  • Oh, I should add that that code compiles and links in MSVC 6.0, it just always returns X and not X to the Num''th power. Really weird.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
    Your code seems to work.
      float f = 5.0;float p = rPowTemplate <3> (f); // p = 125  

As for the other two items ... I don''t know. I haven''t tried yet.

~~~~~~~~~~
    FreeBSD.org - worship the Daemon!
    ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
    If you are running windows 2000 OR XP visual studio .NET is pure evil. Why? Well VS .Net thinks it''s a great idea that you install the IIS server component. You can''t install VS .NET with out installing IIS first! Once you''ve installed IIS your pretty much screwed. Why? Because you just installed a component which virus programmers have been specificaly targeting over the last few months. Nimda, Code Red, You''ve got the patches? Well that''s fine and dandy but there will be more!

Here is my story...Got the VS .net beta. Was forced to install IIS. Installed IIS, and went to MS''s site to download the patch immediately. Install the patch, reboot...NAV detects Nimda virus. Remove nimda virus, install the patch again, upgrade to latest SP for 2000. Reboot, Nimda is back. Turn off IIS services, patch, re-install SP, clean nimda again. It''s all gone. Installed Visual Studio .NET, removed IIS no more virii. Granted it''s a minor gripe, but quite frankly I don''t see the reason why I''m forced to install something like IIS when I might not even use C#. Before release of this product they realy need to add some more control over the installation process. If I''m forced to install IIS again for the final version I''m going to be majorly upset.
    Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
    First, VS.NET will only install/run on 2000 or XP. 2nd, just disable IIS once it''s installed...it doesn''t have to be running to use VS.NET

Epolevne

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement