Do game designers need to use the computer to work?

Started by
12 comments, last by minibutmany 10 years, 2 months ago

Yes and No. There is a lot of time spent in front of a computer but also just as much time set in loooooong meetings. And a lot of time with a good old fashioned pad and pen.

Advertisement
Except you can use maya/blender and unreal/unity on your phone then yes, you do need a computer because you have to program the game or model the assets.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

There's a lot of time spent WORKING on the computer. Playing games is often done on your own time, but you probably need to do this to stay on top of things.

Playing games for 3 hours a night (if that's all you're doing) isn't helping you learn to be a game designer because it's such a small part of the job.

When I was in high school I definitely played games 2 hours a night on average. I don't think I even get in 2 hours a month these days.

Except you can use maya/blender and unreal/unity on your phone then yes, you do need a computer because you have to program the game or model the assets.

I actually have written code in the drop box app a few times, not the easiest experience, but it works when you need to get something done quick!

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement