• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Very simple Java 2D graphics library?

This topic is 1462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for the simplest possible Java 2D graphics library.

The only feature I need is drawing geometric primitives: mainly rectangles that have been rotated, and circles. I also need some essential features, such as setting the FPS, creating the window and detecting when it was closed.

I will be using it for drawing a simulation that is running. It has to allow me an update() method that I can call like LWJGL, and not like Slick2D that takes this mechanism away from me.

Please suggest something for me, better yet, post tutorials! It has to be simple because I have like two days to create a graphical frontend for my application. A great example is the Pygame Python library - simple, intuitive, and well-documented.

I have tried:

1. LWJGL: definitely not. OpenGL is too complex for what I need and I don't know it.
  2. Slick2D: too restrictive, doesn't fit my model.
  3. Java 2D API: too complex, I don't have time to learn what JPanel, JFrame, JApplet, JWhatever are and how and when I should extend them, also it's very unintuitive, and with very bad tutorials.

Thanks!

Advertisement

I personally like libGDX better than slick for many reasons, but you may not like it, as it is very very focused on the cross-platform aspect, which means every

project has a base project, desktop project, and android project at minimum, which can be a little difficult to manage.

What did you find restrictive about Slick2D?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement