Keep getting rejected by interviewers

Started by
17 comments, last by AhmedCoeia 10 years, 2 months ago

I got about 7 interviews in the last two years, face to face, and I got rejected. They never say a reason, even they never tested me technically, they just asking general questions, HR, and if you have skills in this or this and mostly I do.

I'm really wondering, and that's really depressing, should I leave the country or what for a better IT Job industry like UK, ireland ?

I would like to know what could be the reason for having that common behavior.

Most of the jobs that I apply for are junior to middle career, so I have never requested something that is high in responsibility. I'm an EE graduated in 2007, and mostly I worked for Computer Vision, Games and Embedded Software, Security..etc.

Some of the replies:

1) We can not provide you with a positive response, but we wish you the best for your future career.

2) Thanks for the follow-up, I am very late at catching up with applications in the new year. I value your engagement in keeping interested in our job offer. We’ve decided on another candidate this time but will happily consider your application in the future.

3) it’s our personal impression that you will not fit into our existing design team. Additionally we missed important personal properties. In our team everyone enigneer has to rely on each other team member. Personally I would not rely on the results of your statements or work.

4) This one after really promising with a job offer, they sent that after 4 months of the interview. Dear Mr, we would like to thank you for your interest. We are sorry to let you know that our company does not have any vacancy at the moment. We do however retain your details in our files which we periodically review when considering potential candidates for other vacancies. "

After getting suggestions by editing the question My question is it normal that you have about 8 job interviews and you only get offer by two ? What is the acceptable ejection ratio?

Advertisement

1. is it normal that you have about 8 job interviews and you only get offer by two ?

2. What is the acceptable ejection ratio?

1. No, it's not normal to get that high a percentage of offers. Most people will have many interviews before they get one offer.

2. [shrug]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I got about 7 interviews in the last two years, face to face, and I got rejected.
is it normal that you have about 8 job interviews and you only get offer by two ?

I'm not quite sure how to read that.

In one statement you mention getting 8 job interviews and two job offers. That seems like a good thing with the two job offers part. That's two job offers. Take one.

But the other part of it...

7 total interviews in two years.

How many jobs did you apply for? If you REALLY wanted that job and were qualified for it, over the course of two years you could have become close friends with many people on the development team at a specific studio and gained the job through personal contact. Over two years you could likely have become very familiar with the HR people at all the major studios globally. You could have gone to school for and advanced degree, or done quite a lot of other things if you were applying yourself.

If you were really working hard at getting the job and only had 7 interviews after what, many hundred job applications(?) that should be a sign of something too. Or if you didn't do anything serious to try and get the job, that should be a sign on a different direction.

8 is not too big, fuck them, you do not said to much or nothing

about your coding skills and experience (get some skills and do not want to much money, and you will be accepted' no to much philosophy here (though i get know some goofy recuiting people they was inviting a lot of people just for the sake 'we will see were bored', many of the candidates were okay but they not accepted anybody with no reason - of course it was bad becouse many people was travelling a lot and do not even get a cup of tea))

Not being helpful, but you could take a humorous approach to your situation and send them a letter rejecting their rejection like this one:

Herbert A. Millington
Chair - Search Committee
412A Clarkson Hall
Whitson University
College Hill, MA 34109

Dear Professor Millington,

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful
consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept
your refusal to offer me an assistant professor position in your
department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an
unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied
and promising field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept
all refusals.

Despite Whitson's outstanding qualifications and previous
experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does
not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the
position of assistant professor in your department this August.

I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

Chris L. Jensen

(Source)

Writer, Game Maker, Day-Dreamer... Check out all the wonderful things I've thought up at Meatsack's Workshop!

Check out the Current Ranking of Super Gunball DEMO on IndieDB!

Meatsack, aside from your actual point when posting that, it was hilarious! Good one! :)

Thanks so much for your input.

The guy with commenting of coding skills asked me very stupid java question, like iterator that points to an iterator of a list. He wanted to reverse that list. I simply told him, put all the list in the stack and reverse it, and get an iterator, he stopped for a second, then he said, no I want that method. STUPID.

The thing that I really wanna know what's the problem, I speak good, answer their HR questions, but at the end they send that rejection letter. 80% of the interviews, there were no technical interview at all, and that's common in Austria, because you stay a one month trial period, followed by two months fixed term contract.

I'm gonna get mad:(

Metastack, I will definitely do that, but with stupid recruiters. Thanks for your advice.

@Tom

Thanks for your reply. So You mean you can get 10 interviews and only get two offers ? I meant get rejected by 10 interviews not get 10 offers.

In my own experience, I think about 40% of applications I send out (for open positions they're soliciting to fill, not including "we're always hiring! Send us your resume!" situations) turn into phone-screens or in-person interviews, and of those about 40% have made some kind of offer. So that's a little less than 2 out of 10 applications end up in an offer. Of the offers, about a third offered unacceptable terms (low pay, or some indication of unacceptable-to-me work-life balance), or occasionally I've had multiple offers in the same time window, and had to reject the weaker offer.

All in all, I'd say that's about 1 in 15 applications that has become a job.

Of course, you'll see more or less action depending on how well-qualified you actually are for the positions you're applying for, how well your resume presents you and your skills, how the interviewer perceives your personality traits, and how low a wage you might be willing to accept.

All that said, rightly or wrongly, usually the bar to hire a foreigner living in another country is higher than for a native (or someone with a similar cultural background), even if they've been naturalized. Its simply that all things being equal, someone of one background fits more easily into a team that's predominantly of a similar background. As a foreigner, you simply have a harder time convincing them of your worth. Often, engineering practices differ by company and by team, and new necessary skills can be taught, so you do not win a job on your technical merits alone; the so-called "team fit" and aptitude for learning and problem solving are usually all that an interviewer is actually weighting after an interview (In general you don't get an interview unless they think you've got the technical skills, and any technical questions during an interview are there to gut-check that you didn't lie about your skills, and to watch you problem-solve). If you don't get technical questions during an interview, they either believe you have the skills you say you have, or (perhaps more likely) they choose to evaluate team-fit first, and they're passing over you before getting to that part.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement