this is maybe not strict games related but i would like to find

an answer (tool?)

i wanted to download eclipse it is 150MB, i got celluar

phone download which is slow and also has some limit

that the internet connection is broke every 52 minute

of an hour

i can download about 90MB in hour then it breaks and i

cannot resume this - what is with that:

1) can i use some tool (need for android phone in this case)

which will allow me to resume the download -

2) or this is nor possible

I noticed that there are two kinds of downloads , one that you could

resume and other you could not - what it depends on?

Advertisement

It depends on whether the web server supports the HTTP Range Header. If it does not, the client has to download the whole file from start to end every time.

The server announces support for "Range:" by sending an "Accept-Ranges: bytes" (it's described on the same wiki page, but there's no anchor to link it here) header in the response to the original client request.

An alternative is for someone else to download your download, split it with 7-zip, and then you can download each part, and reassemble it.

Okay, wait. Hold on. I know the answer to this.

Back in the day when browsers had poor download management, people would usually use a download manager for large downloads on unreliable browsers or connections (56k).

Take a look at the comparison of download managers. I've personally used GetRight (many many years ago), but I have also seen JDownloader recommended (adware?)...

Okay, wait. Hold on. I know the answer to this.

Back in the day when browsers had poor download management, people would usually use a download manager for large downloads on unreliable browsers or connections (56k).

Take a look at the comparison of download managers. I've personally used GetRight (many many years ago), but I have also seen JDownloader recommended (adware?)...

tonemgub said that if given download is not resumable then

probably download manager will not help here.. what with that?

(I was thinking abit on this and got concept that given download

manager would need its own server to copy downloadable file,

download it quick and then present this as a resumable to user - but this is a kind of fiction and speculation because i do not

know many on this topics)

probably download manager will not help here..

True, but surely at least one, if not all, of the mirrors hosting Eclipse should have support for download resuming... Have you tried downloading from a different mirror?

probably download manager will not help here..

True, but surely at least one, if not all, of the mirrors hosting Eclipse should have support for download resuming... Have you tried downloading from a different mirror?

that time it was finaly (barely) succesfull, I got a download about 150MB /hour - each 50 minute of hour there is a break ,

- but still i m seeking for some solution if i would like to

download something >150 MB

You could use something like http://ctrlq.org/save/ to first "download" the file to DropBox/Google Drive, then download the file from DB/GD directly to your computer - they should both support resuming the download.

Note that I never used http://ctrlq.org/save/ myself, so I don't know how safe it is - I just found it by searching for "upload URL directly to DropBox" on Google.

You could use something like http://ctrlq.org/save/ to first "download" the file to DropBox/Google Drive, then download the file from DB/GD directly to your computer - they should both support resuming the download.

Note that I never used http://ctrlq.org/save/ myself, so I don't know how safe it is - I just found it by searching for "upload URL directly to DropBox" on Google.

alright tnx for this info i never heard of that, a little compicated maybe but maybe this will be working if nothing else

also yet quest - if this is SO important (and this is - if download

is resumable or not resumable - why the downloading tools

do not inform me in advance if this is resumable or not

- this is important becouse otherwise i must be starting download break it and check myself if this resumable (strange)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement