books thread

Started by
10 comments, last by CoffeeCoder 10 years, 2 months ago

Im a little bored recently (and i am searching for something that cuold interest me etc),

there was a music thread here, i think there could be also a books thread:

what books had influenced you the most (not programming, in general,

all kind of books/ autors here)

?

Advertisement

The Last Legends of Earth by A A Attanasio

Fairyland by Paul J McAuley

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Eon by Greg Bear

Weaveworld by Clive Barker

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Lust for Life by Irving Stone

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Hundreds more that I'm too tired to think of right now.

In addition to some of the above, a few I really enjoyed include:

• Frank Herbert's Dune series. There's also a prequel series by Brain Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson that seems ok from the couple of books I've read, although I didn't enjoy them as much as the original series.
  • Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
  • Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings.
  • C.S Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

I was also recently given a copy of "Zombies! An Illustrated History of the Undead", by Jovanka Vuckovic, which I found pretty interesting as a fan of a number of zombie-based or related movies and games. It's a pretty detailed look spanning multiple decades and examining multiple mediums including film, comic books, and literature, even briefly covering music.

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

I keep meaning to check those out -- they're very popular, and from what I've heard they sound like something I would like, but I just haven't gotten around to actually reading any of them yet! A friend of mine is gradually going through the process of getting a fairly detailed sleeve tattoo made up of characters from the series.

[rollup='A couple of images from the work in progress:'][attachment=19577:67518_482500408483279_240688314_n.jpg]

[attachment=19578:1450829_588555491211103_751266436_n.jpg]

[attachment=19579:1467373_588555467877772_2077278710_n.jpg][/rollup]

- Jason Astle-Adams

These long-influenced my life:

Lord of the Rings universe by Tolkien

Foundation series by Asimov

Car mechanics, astronomy books.

Some of the lot of other sci-fi and science books that were awesome but they weren't that influential on my life:

Weaveworld by Clive Barker

Solaris by Stanislav Lem

Dune universe by Frank Herbert

The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis (this could have been influential if I don't give it up halfway for whatever reason I don't remember)

Lord of the Rings universe by Tolkien

Foundation series by Asimov

Definitely concur to both of those! For a long time, the Foundation trilogy was my favorite book(s).

Though, in my personal opinion, after the two excellent prequels and the three original books, the expanded Foundation 'trilogy' really went downhill in terms of holding my interest.

In addition to Foundation, I'll add Asimov's Elijah Baley trilogy (Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn).

Other books I really enjoyed and have re-read multiple times over the years:

• Watership Down (don't be thrown off thinking it's a "kid's book" - it's not. A fantastic book)
  • Sherlock Holmes series
  • The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas, Jr)
  • The Skylark series (E.E. 'Doc' Smith).

That last one, the Skylark series: in terms of science it's pretty outdated and inaccurate, in terms of writing it has pretty cliched characters, the tension is merely an incremental development of new technology in a very MMO-grindy fashion (We unlocked Level 4 blasters to shoot through their Level 3 shields! seriously, that obvious).

The books are old (space travel SciFi written by the author before WW2), but I enjoyed them alot. My dad, who first introduced me to the books, jokes that they are "the books every physicist has read, but is to embarrassed to admit they enjoyed it." laugh.png

EE 'Doc' Smith's Lensmen series is the same way, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

In terms of inspiring my interest for math and science, one of the best books I've read is Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

"Anathem is set on and around the planet Arbre. Thousands of years prior to the events in the novel, society was on the verge of collapse. Intellectuals entered concents, much like monastic communities but focused on intellectual endeavors rather than religious practice. Here, the avout— intellectuals living under vows and separated from Sæcular society, fraa (derived from Latin frater) for male avout and suur (derived from Latin soror) for female avout — retain extremely limited access to tools and are banned from possessing or operating most advanced technology (at a level beyond paper and pen) and are watched over by the Inquisition, which answers to the outside world (known as the Sæcular Power)."

The first chapters left me totally bewildered. After that I couldn't put the book down. It *is* a sci-fi book, but only in the end.

openwar - the real-time tactical war-game platform

Solaris by Stanislav Lem

Lem had influeanced many (mostly in previoust generetion

todays 50-60 year old, I know many Lem freaks, there is

also a whole HARD SCI-FI genre which seem to be interesting for me - but i do not know it too much

personally i liked SF when i was about 13-16, later not too much

Yet as to Lem I read "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" when i was 15

and this was very interesting experience (later i was reading

some other novels but i did not get it)

Pratchett - i was traing this but disliked it

tolkien - i liked it partially

Herbert - I liked it partially

Dick - i liked it partially

Asimov - never tried that

Wagner - (Kane series) - i liked it partially (but ok, more then tolkien)

??- (Conan) - i liket it about like Kane

my SF experiences come from old days when i was about 15

so i am not sure if i will like this books when i was reading it today but some i remember as an interesting experiences:

(more than dune, or tolkien, or dick )

Larry NIven "Ringworld" (readed only 1 book but it was

very interesting) James white "Hospital Station", Gordon R. Dickson "Tactics of Mistakes"

(may also mention also some pulp sf Harry Harrison "The Stainless Steel Rat" - this was cheap and not so good but i got some fine hot summer reading it (legs on the front car windowshield) in my fathers car parked in the yard near my house

[sf has not 'influenced' me much (though some i remember as

an interesting experiences, some like adventure books like "Cpt blood", or Oliver Curwood, May (old shutterhand), Verne )

later i was encountering Kurt Vonnegut (I consider him very fine) and more 'serious' literature -> ->

Some authors I like a lot: ( I am unable to pick out individual books as being better than others )

RA Salvatore

Ed Greenwood

Brian Jacques

Dan Abnett

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would be interested in how these books affected the readers lives.

For me, car mechanic and astronomy books are obvious: I am a mechanical engineer now, and I was to be an astronomer for many years, I'm still fascinated about space and stuff.

The literature affected me in a way that my urge to get away from this world could be a bit more focused, and of course I could get away with those.

Or something...

Sci-fi:

The Mote in God's Eye

Ringworld

Rendezvous with Rama

Dune

Slaughterhouse 5

Non-fiction:

Guns, Germs, and Steel

King Leopold's Ghost

Guns of August

Dreadnought (Massie)