• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fir

connecting two pc's by some cable and programming this

This topic is 2100 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got no internet cable connection at home, but presently using two

machines both with w xp 

i would like to connect them by some cable and 'train' this

connection in my game prototypes (in c/win32)

maybe winsock or maybe something easier (I would like to 

train some simple form of  communication then later

change it to real internet connection)

what could i use, (as to knowledge i only know winsockets

slightly, but previously got no companion to set a remote

connection and focus on this) 

Advertisement

If you don't want to use the crossover cable, you can get a router or a switch and two ethernet cables.

If your devices have gigabit ethernet they should auto-switch, thus eliminating the need for a crossover cable.

allright tnx for answers I will get the cable

Edited by fir

If you don't want to use the crossover cable, you can get a router or a switch and two ethernet cables.

If your devices have gigabit ethernet they should auto-switch, thus eliminating the need for a crossover cable.

This is what I get for learning these things in the 90s and not keeping up. :)

partially correct, auto-mdix isn't part of the gig standard however like 99% of gig devices do support it, not a guarantee though.

partially correct, auto-mdix isn't part of the gig standard however like 99% of gig devices do support it, not a guarantee though.

Thus my use of the word "should".

In practice, it's very hard to find a piece of gigabit hardware these days that does not support auto-mdix, and various manufacturers (for example, Apple) have supported it since they first deployed gigabit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!