• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fir

640x512, is it safe?

This topic is 2098 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My lcd monitor has native resolution 1280x1024 far to big for some

of my purposes, i need quite low resolution, i use 640x480 but this 

is not native, ia m also afraid that in this resolution pixel is not square

on my display

i got some posibiliy in my nvidia setting dialog to produce a resolution of any

size, I could probably produce 640x512 (this is some kind of native) and 

set it as a desktop resolution, or for my game in fullscreen mode

but i am not sure if this is safe, will it not do some damage? 

Also is it possible to produce this resolution at runtime in my own game

sent to end users , check its native resolutions if they are 1000+x1000+

divide it by two than use it :?

Advertisement

Feeding an LCD of 1280 by 768 resolution with 640 by 512 pixels means that every 2 by 2 LCD cells are filled with identical pixel color, so to say. I cannot think of any damage that an LCD may experience, because we speak about the question how a couple of pixel values are distributed over a fixed field of cells. Nevertheless, the LCD may refuse to work with any pixel resolution that isn't listed in its technical specification. If the settings dialog allows for a specific pixel resolution (without writing any warning beneath), you can expect that it will work.

I, personally, have a problem working on a desktop with such a low resolution. I'm happy with 1920 by 1200, and 1024 by whatever seems me too low yet. I never switch my desktop for game development.

If running in full-screen mode, switching the resolution is an option if

* you use the OS mechanism for this,

* you do it after overtaking the display,

* you undo it under all circumstances before giving the display back.

I, as a user, really hate it if my desktop has changed its composition just because a game wasn't able to do it right.

Another option, and one that I use during development when simulating the game n the editor, but also prefer for engine runtime, is simply to scale the rendering. This allows to have a bigger output although the display resolution wasn't changed. This may or may not work for your game, I don't know.

EDIT: Forgotten to say that besides rendering also any pointer input has to be scaled, but you probably has seen it yourself. Of course, an engine should always hide display specific data, so that the input sub-system as well as the graphics rendering sub-system are aware of a resolution, but these are the only ones. So uniform scaling, especially with integer factor, is a "no brainer" smile.png

Edited by haegarr

there is a warning about potential damege of monitor and violation of guarantee, alsomention that this settings can cause some signals raise above the range values expected by monitors - 

though it is avaliable, so i do not know if it will bring damage or

not, if not i would like to use 640x512

I suspect that CRT are more vulnerable on such settings but LCD probably I should not be afraid - but I am not sure,

Edited by fir

there is a warning about potential damege of monitor and violation of guarantee, alsomention that this settings can cause some signals raise above the range values expected by monitors - 

I'm not sure I've ever heard of damage being caused from changing a resolution..? Where did you see that information?

I think the warning is the same for all unsupported resolutions, whether lower or higher than spec. When you run above spec, you can damage old monitors. Newer monitors just pop up with a message saying the signal is unsupported. It's hard to imagine running under spec would ever cause damage, but I can't say for sure.

It is not at all safe to just cut someone's resolution in half though. My monitor is fairly new, and fairly expensive, and it will not support custom resolutions. And just cutting a resolution in half doesn't guarantee it will be within a range you want anyways. Cut a 4k resolution in half and you're still way above 1280x1024. You also risk getting someone stuck in an unsupported resolution, which is just going to piss off your customers.

The proper solution if you want to target a specific resolution is to get a list of supported resolutions, and then walk the list in your code and select one. For SDL, there's SDL_ListModes. I think DX/Windows was GetDeviceCaps. There was probably more than just that one function call though, so you might want to track down sample code doing this stuff right.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of damage being caused from changing a resolution..? Where did you see that information?

in nvidia settings panel when you want to produce custom 

resolution

I saw the damege - over 10 years ago (in the pentium 1 era)

i putted on monitor energy saving settings and it was instantly damaged (then service repaired it)

I think the warning is the same for all unsupported resolutions, whether lower or higher than spec. When you run above spec, you can damage old monitors. Newer monitors just pop up with a message saying the signal is unsupported. It's hard to imagine running under spec would ever cause damage, but I can't say for sure.

It is not at all safe to just cut someone's resolution in half though. My monitor is fairly new, and fairly expensive, and it will not support custom resolutions. And just cutting a resolution in half doesn't guarantee it will be within a range you want anyways. Cut a 4k resolution in half and you're still way above 1280x1024. You also risk getting someone stuck in an unsupported resolution, which is just going to piss off your customers.

The proper solution if you want to target a specific resolution is to get a list of supported resolutions, and then walk the list in your code and select one. For SDL, there's SDL_ListModes. I think DX/Windows was GetDeviceCaps. There was probably more than just that one function call though, so you might want to track down sample code doing this stuff right.

Ye i know i can list supported resolutions and chose the closest one but as i said

1) some are not native, perfest pixel grids are distorted,

i would like low but native - like

2) i liked to toy with low and non standard resolutions, on my old xp

I could turned and turn my game in 320x200x32 or 512x384 <- that was my favourite - it was very pleasnt fun -- in my present xp i cannot do that (the keystrokes i used now did not work for

those two low resolutions sadly) - dont know why maybe it is

service pack 3 that causes this (or maybe it is just other graphics, then i got old integrated intel  here i got gt610)

as to custom resolution i can probably set any i like say

666x555 and not sure - do need the monitor explicitely

support  this? i thought it will just show the things if video card will generata this

Edited by fir

Why don't you just leave the resolution as-is, render to a framebuffer object with a 640*480 texure attached, and draw a textured fullscreen quad with linear interpolation to whatever-dont-care the resolution is? This will never look worse (since the pixels size is fixed anyway!) and likely look much better. And, it doesn't interfere with settings that are actually none of your business.

I mean, seriously, fiddling with the user's resolution setting (and then failing to restore it when the user alt-tabs out or when the game crashes) is sooooooooo 1990s. I already hated it when a game did that thing back then, but at that time it had kind of a "justification" because graphics cards weren't that powerful. Also, once upon a time, switching to fullscreen mode was said to give a performance benefit (I never truly noticed a difference myself).

Nowadays, the only difference is that DWM will turn off compositing, but it will do that anyway for a borderless window that is exactly screen-sized.

Edited by samoth

Why don't you just leave the resolution as-is, render to a framebuffer object with a 640*480 texure attached, and draw a textured fullscreen quad with linear interpolation to whatever-dont-care the resolution is? This will never look worse (since the pixels size is fixed anyway!) and likely look much better. And, it doesn't interfere with settings that are actually none of your business.

I mean, seriously, fiddling with the user's resolution setting (and then failing to restore it when the user alt-tabs out or when the game crashes) is sooooooooo 1990s. I already hated it when a game did that thing back then, but at that time it had kind of a "justification" because graphics cards weren't that powerful. Also, once upon a time, switching to fullscreen mode was said to give a performance benefit (I never truly noticed a difference myself).

Nowadays, the only difference is that DWM will turn off compositing, but it will do that anyway for a borderless window that is exactly screen-sized.

this is not only the question of games , I use 640x480 as a desktop resolution and this i feel distors the desktop view,

if i could change it to 640x512 maybe it will look better

but i am not sure if the risk of damagging my lcd monitor

is more like 1 % or 0 % (i suspect i could try but want to 

ask if someone tried it before)

as to games most games i play change the resolution 

(almost all of them got a settings for changing the resolution manually) 

Also i am curious if it is possible to enforce strange custom resolutions (777x555 ) on the player machine or not

ass to full screen mode is it possible to set some other fullscreen mote other than borderless window? I use borderless window aproach (this seem to be standard)

combining with switching the resolution of desktop

- is there other fullscreen mode (not borderless window?)

Edited by fir

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!