human intelligence

Started by
82 comments, last by Gianni Guarino 10 years, 2 months ago

what do you think about that?

I think the first quote sounds pretty but is meaningless, and the second quote is far too simplistic to have any true meaning.

Advertisement
I like this one better:

The question of whether Machines Can Think... is about as relevant as the question of whether Submarines Can Swim.

I like this one better:

The question of whether Machines Can Think... is about as relevant as the question of whether Submarines Can Swim.

smile.png

I don't think a computer can think, but a software will probably can, even if we will probably all be dead when this will happen ohmy.png

I think we should imitate the Nature, so using formal neural networks if we want to reproduce properly intelligence, without weak tricks ...

I don't think a computer can think, but a software will probably can [...]

You keep making a distinction that is irrelevant to this discussion: When we talk about what a computer can do, we are talking about the hardware and the software combined.

Humans are FAR more superior than computers,Ai.We Humans can learn new things by our own,we update ourselves unlike computers they need Human help so it can be updated and if a computer has bugs/glitches can it fix itself? When we have problems(bugs/glitches) we can fix ourselves our Brain is smaller than a computer yet it can still hold 100 times more information than a supercomputer can.But if someone can create a computer/robot/Ai as smarter or more smarter than a human being(I hope it doesn't happen)and can walk,talk and can do everything(or more)than a human then it will probably be more superior than us and if it goes against us then we will get obliterated.But there are many things us Humans can do that a machine can't for example:

1.When we get wounded we can heal our selves.(A machine will probably go back to the factory to get repaired)

2.We have emotions machines dont have.

Anyway in this time Humans are more superior than machines/computers.

I don't think a computer can think, but a software will probably can [...]

You keep making a distinction that is irrelevant to this discussion: When we talk about what a computer can do, we are talking about the hardware and the software combined.

Why are you so arrogant ?

A computer executes a software. A software is built by humans. These are completely different things. So I don't think it is irrelevant to this discussion

So my point is that, even a computer definitely can't think, a software that is executed on it could.

I really should stop posting on this thread, because I am not getting many coherent arguments from the other side. But I have a hard time letting bad arguments and misinformation unchallenged.

When we have problems(bugs/glitches) we can fix ourselves

No, we can't. If our brain is not working well we can go to a psychiatrist, but there are many mental diseases for which we can do very little.

our Brain is smaller than a computer yet it can still hold 100 times more information than a supercomputer can.

That is just completely wrong. Please, propose a test of memory prowess where you think you can beat a laptop.

But if someone can create a computer/robot/Ai as smarter or more smarter than a human being(I hope it doesn't happen)and can walk,talk and can do everything(or more)than a human then it will probably be more superior than us and if it goes against us then we will get obliterated.

You keep saying things like "more starter" and "more superior", which really doesn't help your case that humans are particularly good at language. Putting that aside (as hard as that is), what does walking have to do with anything? Even talking is a bit of a strange test. Talking is something humans do to communicate. It is unclear to me that we should judge computer ability based on ways humans interact. Computers communicate using TCP/IP, but I don't judge humans to be inferior because they suck at TCP/IP communication.

But there are many things us Humans can do that a machine can't for example:

1.When we get wounded we can heal our selves.(A machine will probably go back to the factory to get repaired)

Which is why starfish are superior to humans.

2.We have emotions machines dont have.

Which has nothing to do with anything.

Anyway in this time Humans are more superior than machines/computers.

You haven't defined what you mean by "more superior", but going by the rest of the post, you seem to be saying that humans are better than computers at being human (walking, talking, having emotions). That is likely to stay for a long time.

"I really should stop posting on this thread, because I am not getting many coherent arguments from the other side"

Maybe because you treat the "other side" as shit ??

Tournicoti what matters here are arguments and his arguments are good.

Intelligence is this: receives input data(zeros and ones), and it predicts what the next input will be given a part of the input data or nothing.

What is wron with this?

Slightly off-topic in the computers vs humans debate, but I'd like to mention that some animals with brains the size of hazelnuts have fucking awesome intelligence, too.

Ravens, for example. Not only do they do all the normal bird tricks such as flapping wings and dropping their excrements on your car, but they also have a fully functional language with several hundreds words (it only sounds like croaks to me, but if you can trust ornitologists, they do). Also they don't struggle at distinguishing similarly shaped items (like a gun barrel and a broomstick) and can differentiate human faces. They also pass abstract information such as who is an enemy and when food is available to their siblings and hatchlings. They're working in groups to drive away predators (such as eagles) that are several times their size, too.

Don't ask me how nature puts all that into such a small brain... but of course it isn't so much intent, but it boils down to how nature always works: the less stupid bird doesn't get killed so easily (well, most of the time), so it's going to pass on its genes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement