this is not my program but some fellow colegue i know

he is using sdl+glut (i dont exactly know) and also drawing some

strings with help of sdl and freetype libs

the results is a bit fuzzy at my computer

[attachment=19610:sl.png]

what is a reason for this - i am using not native resolution but

other windows string are not fuzzy here, If i change to native

resolution those strings seem to be ok and not fuzzy, but in my

present resolution they are fuzzy - is there some way to repair it?

Advertisement

Traditional fonts suck at scaling. You can use signed distance field fonts for something that scales more cleanly, but they do have their own set of issues. You may find articles written about it as just "distance fields" and you may also find information on SDF fonts.

Traditional fonts suck at scaling. You can use signed distance field fonts for something that scales more cleanly, but they do have their own set of issues. You may find articles written about it as just "distance fields" and you may also find information on SDF fonts.

windows can handle this size of fonts, does this mean that sdl

or ogl or what got such a problem that windows font rendering

has not? (I was trying to change some options in nvidia gpu

systemwide settings and no one fixed this, turning on edge aaliasing FXAA only changet that it then become yet more fuzzy/sinked)

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/04/24/a-closer-look-at-font-rendering/

How the font is rendered on the backend makes a huge difference. You're not really helping yourself any if you run any resolution other than the optimal for your monitor, either.

If you're using bilinear filtering (or any kind of filtering), turn it off and just use nearest/point filtering instead and see if that looks crisper.

[size="1"]

Personally, I find it properly anti-aliased.

Previously "Krohm"

Personally, I find it properly anti-aliased.

they are wrong, normal fonts of this size rendered at www page (this forum text for example) or anywhere else looks sharp and ok (*) - those mentioned are washed/sink/fuzzy (trying to change aliasing options in nvidia panel didnt change the thing, as i said turning on one option fxaa make it only yet worse)

(*) for normal fonts in windows I can set 1) nothing 2) standard 3) clear type - settings (for font 'blendig' ?I do not know the word because i got no english version of windows and do not know how tu translate the word) - i am using standard (cleartype is a little blurry but nothing comparable to those above, nothing gives pixels but not quite shape

letters, standard looks ok for me)

Actually, that does look like a properly hinted and anti-aliased text rendering for that size... the real problem with it is that it is drawn naively, without using the correct gamma. If you apply a 2.2 gamma correction to that image you will see way better consistency on rounded shapes.
Also at small resolutions it can be good to use sub-pixel anti-aliasing, aka clear-type on Windows, but that is another story!

Actually, that does look like a properly hinted and anti-aliased text rendering for that size... the real problem with it is that it is drawn naively, without using the correct gamma. If you apply a 2.2 gamma correction to that image you will see way better consistency on rounded shapes.
Also at small resolutions it can be good to use sub-pixel anti-aliasing, aka clear-type on Windows, but that is another story!

Hmm, it may be true this with gamma.

But still i think this what is seen now is wrong. All the fonts i see in my windows as i said are sharp got no problem with with aliasing or gamma.. What is the difference are those first fonts drawed in different way than normal fonts in windows? What is the difference?

well, judging by the window caption on your screenshot, you may be used, or even prefer viewing small fonts with no antialiasing whatsoever... which will obviously produce a crisp and sharp rendering of the glyphs, but with more visible jaggies on curved features.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement