Raising Money For my Game?

Started by
27 comments, last by This is no one 10 years, 2 months ago

Hello, I am currenlty fluent in C++, Java, Lua. I have started development of my multiplayer puzzle platformer and have got to a great point to release a alpha. after that though, i will not be able to contine, i need funds, and i am under 18 (no kickstarter :( ) i need funds for:

• Website
  • Distrobution
  • Server upkeep (for the multiplayer)
  • Pay artists (i am below average at art)

How would i be able to raise funds for my game, being under 18?

~Nathan Taras

CEO Beo Games

Advertisement

How would i be able to raise funds

Moving this to the Business forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

How would i be able to raise funds

Moving this to the Business forum.

Sorry. I created this account for this reason only

being under 18?

Pretty sure you need a parent to be the legal owner of your business. You should check with your local SBA office (assuming you live in the US).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't think there is a way to get funds without a parent helping because I think all sites require you to be 16 to 18+ for that sort of thing. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but others who have done this aspect of development will be able to help you more than I can. I've not ever tried to market a game and I own three domains but no webspace at this time so I unfortunately don't know the answer to this and can't recommend anything. Sorry I can't be more help, but I do, truly wish you luck in this endeavour and hope you succeed and keep us all informed of your progress.

imo most of the funding sites will need you to be 18+, give urself some time and I am sure you'll be there smile.png.

good luck with your project.

I know of crowdtilt but they too need a guardian's consent if you are between 13 and 17.
You could make more games till you are old enough.
Another suggestion might be a free weebly website and google adsense.

You could make it single player, learn how to use blender (if it's 3d).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

For indie game development I would say stick to Kickstarter. Crowdtilt, after sifting through their 'projects' strike me as a more self oriented (selfish-ish) site. Most of the 'campaigns' are for people wanting to get money for personal use to get to a concert, boat, car, gifts for their senior kids, even one for a guy to get a yacht (with liquor and food) for a 4 hour ride along the coastline, etc. Kickstarter is more professional and is more geared toward letting indies raise money to get a game published, hardware published, etc. Crowdtilt doesn't seem like the appropriate site for getting funding for a game, in my opinion.

For indie game development, I believe Kickstarter and Indiegogo are the best two for funding needs, but like I said, they require you to be 18 or a parent to set up the account in order to do campaigns. Talk to your parents and see if they will set up one for you or wait a few more years while patiently building your skills, making games, and writing down ideas for what you think is a good game idea.

How much money do you need? A lot of those things you mention aren't that costly for a start-up game. You don't need a server farm when you are just starting out, and in fact, it would be a bad choice to get hardware to support 100,000 players or more when you will likely have a couple hundred at best on day one since you will be relying on word-of-mouth (which builds somewhat slowly).

As far as obtaining art, have you really scoured what is out there and ready available? Your players aren't going to recognize a tree model found on page 124 of TurboSquid.

Basically what I am getting at, is that if you can keep the amount you need realistic, you could try pitching to people you know, such as family. You won't be asking for a gift. You will be offering them equity in your product, and will pay them returns on their investment based on how much equity they own. Treat it as a business deal with a pitch explaining how they will make their money back.

If all else fails, and your parents won't sign-off on being responsible for your Kickstarter campaign, just get a job and start saving until you turn 18 and can go it alone. The more you can save now, the less you will need from a crowdsource campaign, meaning less perks you will have to promise out to people and be legally responsible for providing to produce your game. Also, the stats are clear for Kickstarter (KS). Although there are some major winners on KS that score multi-million dollar fundings, those are established developers with a proven track record. Once you subtract them out, the vast majority of campaigns that are successful are campaigns for smaller funding goals. You will have a much greater chance of success on KS when you do get to that point if you raise whatever you can until then to reduce what you will need from KS.

Best of luck!

For indie game development I would say stick to Kickstarter. Crowdtilt, after sifting through their 'projects' strike me as a more self oriented (selfish-ish) site. Most of the 'campaigns' are for people wanting to get money for personal use to get to a concert, boat, car, gifts for their senior kids, even one for a guy to get a yacht (with liquor and food) for a 4 hour ride along the coastline, etc. Kickstarter is more professional and is more geared toward letting indies raise money to get a game published, hardware published, etc. Crowdtilt doesn't seem like the appropriate site for getting funding for a game, in my opinion.

For indie game development, I believe Kickstarter and Indiegogo are the best two for funding needs, but like I said, they require you to be 18 or a parent to set up the account in order to do campaigns. Talk to your parents and see if they will set up one for you or wait a few more years while patiently building your skills, making games, and writing down ideas for what you think is a good game idea.

So what do you do when you are not a member of the countries they support and what is wrong with getting money for your child's fees from people willing to help?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement