Algorithms - Data Structures Book

Started by
9 comments, last by alvaro 10 years, 2 months ago

I am looking for a book that explains in detail all the usefull-most used algorithms and data structures.

I would prefer if it had exercises in it along with the solutions.

My mathimatical backround is not bad but I am not an expert either.

So I would like the book explanations to not be so mathematically complex.

Be more like a begginner book with explanations as simple as possible. With some pictures in it too. :P

If instead of a book there is a good site I dont really mind using that instead of the book.

In terms of programming I just finished learning C. I will be testing these algorithms in C

Thanks.

Failure is not an option...

Advertisement

One of the most used books is "Introduction to Algorithms", by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Algorithms

It was used in my ADS course too (as "recommended" English book, since the course was not in English), it comes with exercise.

Note also that most of algorithms and data structure books (especially introductory and intermediate level books) don't use a specific "real" language (like C/C++, Java, Python, etc.) but their own pseudo-code. This means the job of translating all into C (or any other programming language) is yours.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
Data Structures and Algorithms for Game Developers

I don't have this book myself nor have I read it but most of the other Charles River Media books I have are fairly good.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Algorithms, 4th Edition by Sedgewick and Wayne is a good choice. It's less dry than many other texts and more suitable for self-study. Additionally, it's used as the basis of a course taught by the authors at Princeton, available as two classes (Part I and Part II) online for free at Coursera.

I agree with the recommendation for any of Sedgewick's many "Algorithms" books. The level of rigor is enough but not overwhelming.

if the thought of reading 1000 page, highly descriptive book cant scare you then Algorithms, 4th Edition by Sedgewick and Wayne is the best bet. The subject of data struct and algo. is quite academic in nature and one can find lots of content/video lectures etc over the internet for a quick start.

Data Structures For Game Programmers by Ron Penton. PM me if you need the CD

Coursera is aboout to restart its Algorithms 1 course on the 31st of Jan which will no doubt be followed by the Alogorithms 2 course. Its free to sign up and has lots of excersises and assignments. The book recommended for the course is Algorithms 4th Edition which was already recommended by nish_wk.

If you don't want to do the course work you can still follow along with the lectures.

https://www.coursera.org/course/algs4partI

The book looks very good. I also like the idea of this online class.

The only problem is that the code is written in Java. I would have prefered if it was on pseudocode.

It's not that I have any problem learning Java. But I was aiming to start learning C++ now that I got C.

So in order to use this book I need to learn Java.

Failure is not an option...

My bible is:

Algorithms in C++: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching Pts. 1-4

and

Algorithms in C++: Graph Algorithms Pt.5

All in C++ and lots of explaining as well.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement