Fading

Started by
12 comments, last by delbogun 22 years, 5 months ago
I''ve tried to make a fading in 32-bit color with help from ironblayde''s tutorial, but I can''t make it right, could someone please help me?

void Fade(DDSURFACEDESC ddsd, float pct)
{
	USHORT* temp = (USHORT*) ddsd.lpSurface;
	int jump = ddsd.lPitch - resolution_x;
	UCHAR r,g,b;
	USHORT color;

for(int y = 0; y < resolution_y; y++)
	{
		for(int x = 0; x < resolution_x; x++)
		{
			color = *temp;

r = (color & 0xF800) >> 16;
			g = (color & 0x0730) >> 8;
			b = (color & 0x001F);

r = (UCHAR) ((float) r * pct);
			g = (UCHAR) ((float) g * pct);
			b = (UCHAR) ((float) b * pct);

*temp= RGB_32BIT(r,g,b);
		}

temp+= jump;
	}
}

Advertisement
So what is it doing wrong?

I may be wrong, but I was rather under the impression that the correct way to seperate the RGB values is:
    r = (color & 0xFF000) >> 16;  g = (color & 0x00FF0) >> 8;  b = (color & 0x000FF);  

Signatures? We don''t need no steenking signatures!
CoV
only a few pixels on that area is changing to darker color
what sort of unsigned short are you using?
unsigned short is usually 16bit unless you specify it to be 32. Try using unsigned long (unsigned int is usually 32 bit as well).
I''ve tried to use unsigned long, but I get the same problem.

I''m locking the back surface, then i''m calling that function and then unlocking the back surface. I don''t know what I''m doing wrong, could someone show me a example code on how to use fading? please?
Well other than needing it to be 32 bit ULONG, look at your hex values, and also I believe your jump is incorrect. If resolution_x is just the width of the screen (or where you want to start at) then you need to shift the lPitch by two (I think you need to do this anyway). At present your jump is probably negative, this should fix that.

Also, your not updating where temp points to during the second loop. So your only updating the same pixel over and over again.
Thanks alot for all your help. I've changed my code, but It still doesn't write over the whole area. I don't understand the last note you did TheFez. I get the latest pixel by color = *temp; And changing temp to the next line by jump =(ddsd.lPitch>>2) - resolution_x; Is there something else I should do?

Edited by - delbogun on October 31, 2001 3:45:31 AM
try this: just worked it out in my head, might not be "exactly" correct but it's on the way.

One of the reasons why yours was not working ont he whole screen is because you have to do temp++ at the end of every for(x) and you only move temp at the end of every for(y). So the amount of pixels faded is your resolution_y on each scanline and not the whole screen.

The code is below...

// fading effectvoid Fade(DDSURFACEDESC &ddsd, float pct)    {    USHORT *buffer;    long jump_x;    UCHAR r,g,b;    USHORT color;    buffer = (USHORT *)ddsd.lpSurface;    jump_x = ddsd.lPitch - resolution_x;    for (int y=0; y<resolution_y; y++)        {        for (int x=0; x<resolution_x; x++)            {            // value color from buffer            color = *buffer;            // extract each component from the color            r = (color & 0xF800) >> 11;            g = (color & 0x07E0) >> 5;            b = (color & 0x001F);            // apply the fading effect            r = (UCHAR) ((float) r * pct);            g = (UCHAR) ((float) g * pct);            b = (UCHAR) ((float) b * pct);            // store it back            *buffer = ((USHORT)r<<11)|(g<<5)|b;            buffer++;            } // end for x        buffer += jump_x;        } // end for y    } // end Fade    

Hope this helps!

Edited by - Gladiator on October 31, 2001 3:59:22 AM
This should work better for you. You need to have a 32bit source surface and a 32bit primary surface to use this code!

void Fade(DDSURFACEDESC ddsd, float pct){        //can use int or unsigned int same thing	int *temp = (int*) ddsd.lpSurface;	//resolution_x are pixels	//ddsd.lPitch is bytes	//each pixel is 4 bytes in 32bit mode	int jump = ddsd.lPitch - (resolution_x*sizeof(int));	for(int y = 0; y < resolution_y; y++)	{		for(int x = 0; x < resolution_x; x++)		{			int color = *temp;			//this is for 32bit color not 16bit			//8bit shifts or 0 - 255 			char r = (color & 0x00ff0000) >> 16;			char g = (color & 0x0000ff00) >> 8;			char b = (color & 0x000000ff);			//can use char or unsigned char same thing			r = (char) ((float) r * pct);			g = (char) ((float) g * pct);			b = (char) ((float) b * pct);						*temp = (r << 16) | (g << 8) | (g << 0)			//don''t forget to move to the the next pixel			temp++; 		}		temp += jump;	}}    
delbogun, what I meant was that your not moving the temp pointer to the next pixel:

color = *temp;
r = (color & 0xF800) >> 16;
g = (color & 0x0730) >> 8;
b = (color & 0x001F);
r = (UCHAR) ((float) r * pct);
g = (UCHAR) ((float) g * pct);
b = (UCHAR) ((float) b * pct);
*temp= RGB_32BIT(r,g,b);

This is what you had as your code in the for(int x...) loop. I noticed that you do not change the location of temp. So while it is in that loop, your not updating the position (so it stays the same until you leave that loop).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement