Developing in XP

Started by
6 comments, last by Bump Lens 22 years, 5 months ago
I was just wondering what people thought of MS''s new XP OS for development purposes? Have any games developers said anything?
Advertisement
Depends... if ure going from 9x to xp then u will like it. however from 2k to xp there isnt much more there to tempt u to change os
Personally, I think it''s a great OS for development. The stability of Win2k, with much better hardware and software support (not to mention all the other cool features ...).

~~~~~~~~~~
FreeBSD.org - worship the Daemon!
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by Martee
Personally, I think it''s a great OS for development. The stability of Win2k, with much better hardware and software support (not to mention all the other cool features ...).

As long as you don''t swap hardware too often for testing...

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I asked this because I have noticed a slow down in my OpenGL programs. I''m not sure if its my voodoo 5 and its lack of support or if WinXP is 64bit and messing with my floats, anybody else noticed this?
If your CPU is 32bit, then Windows is 32bit. A 64bit OS won''t run on a 32bit CPU.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
That''s not exactly true. If I remember correctly DOS was a 16 bit OS originally designed for an 8 bit proc. A 64 bit OS won''t be able to take full advantage of it''s 64 bit design while running on a 32 bit proc, but it could be done. And I believe that winXP was supposed to be the bridge between the 32 bit, and the 64 bit world, especially with the upcoming Hammer from AMD (Intel''s 64 bit proc doesn''t exactly count as it is not x86).
The change from win9x, winNT or whatever to winXP should not change anything about your data types if you are using the same compiler. The size of the basic data types is dependant on the compiler not the OS. Unless you have also upgraded to a new compiler which uses larger data types as the basic types, then there should be no change in that regard.
From what I understand, the native winXP OGL drivers re-route calls to DirectX, essentially emulating OGL. If you do not have real OGL drivers for your video card, then this could be the cause of the slowdown.

J.W.
Microsoft Windows Whisler is the 64bit os, it works on the 64bit Intel Itanium Processor.

Whisler is the 64bit XP, as you possibly know, the name for XP whas Whisler first..

But its not official to buy, like the 64bit Itanium is not officially to buy, its only thought for servers..

it is possible to have 16Tera Ram on a 64bit architecture, btw.. funny, not?
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement