Need some constructive criticism on my demos

Started by
9 comments, last by fir 10 years, 2 months ago

Hello everyone,

I'm a sound designer trying to get an internship at a video game company and I'd like some feedback on my demos. I actually got a few pro reviews already but more is always better for this kind of things (in my opinion).

Here is the two trailers I remade :

SC2 trailer remake :

https://vimeo.com/82388137

Demo reel made of multiple trailers :

https://vimeo.com/81424787

I'm currently remaking a part of Pacific Rim which is a movie but it has pretty cool sounds.

I also have a few projects going on where I make the sounds (2 actually) and a project where I also do the programming with Unity (I guess it's more scripting tho, I use C#).

Thanks in advance for your criticism.

Advertisement

i am not an expert in the field but i very like it !- the sounds are

not wide (not many in the same moment) and i got somewhat

'old age of games' feeling here, but I like it much more than

this 'epic titanic' stuff im sick of, I very like it (though as i said

I am not expert)

- I also like to focus on images not hear the

sounds to much (becouse hearing the sounds in separate gives

worse effect, but they are very good whan taking immersion in the movement), but they are just good to focus of movement

of images

(more is hard to say, I liked it)

Thank you for the post, I'm glad you liked it!

I like the individual sounds, they are very good. IMHO you need to work on the general athmosphere, there are parts where there is almost no sound, not enough going on.

Nice Wilhelm scream though. :D

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Would you mind telling me with what kind of sound system your listened to my stuff and in what part it was the most shocking?

It's actually scaring me a little bit because I tried on a few systems + with headphones and I never felt like there was a place that really needed more sounds but maybe I listenned too loud or something and it makes the ambiance too quiet overall. Because in theory when I listen to it there is really never a place without sound.

First time listening was with a very cheap headset and low volume. I'll try again with Audio Technica ATH-M50s

Okay, I listened again with different headphones. Keep in mind that I'm just a normal person, no sound guru. :)

I heard the ambience now! But I still think it's a little too quiet. Maybe adjust the levels and compression?

I like the Starcraft trailer from 0:00 until 0:45. The rest is pretty good too, but it's hard for me to put into words... it feels a bit empty.

Maybe it's just the music missing.

The Star wars trailer I think suffers from the lack of human grunts and noises. It's all just mechanical. But that's hard to do...

EDIT : oups posted before i saw your new post.

Thank you for listenning again and for your feedback, I'll try to see if I can improve these things.

You're welcome. Overall I really like it though, in case my previous posts sounded too negative.

Don't worry, even if it was negative it's still a good thing to have as long as it's not just "well it sucks".

But glad you liked it tho.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement