What the heck happened to IOTD?

Started by
4 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 10 years, 2 months ago

It use to be a simple process to submit a project to the IOTD but now it's some weird meta game involving a 2nd off-site web page? How do you even submit images and projects anymore? I'm all for meta gaming but the use flow for that process leaves alot to be desired.

Advertisement

They got rid of the site's old IOTD system.

Now, the site automatically downloads images from twitter that are tagged with #screenshotsaturday.

Lots of people on twitter use this tag, and it's not directly related to GameDev.net (the tag was founded independently). So, the IOTD system here shows images from the whole twitter community, not just the GDNet community.

There's supposed to be a new gallery/showcase feature on the way, which is designed for members here to show off their projects.

K thanks I understand now. So it gathers images from twitter and then pits them against each other in a meta game? But then how does it populate the full IOTD page and background story for the images? Can't just pull tweets text. These new fangled social network.. in my day we just posted onto message boards :)

We get the info from twitter.. In the past two months though I've been swamped with buying a house / moving / selling old house

Here is the new spot I am going to look towards making more awesome and launching site-wide.. it cross-posts to the IOTD for you locally. http://www.gamedev.net/page/indie/index.html

There's occasionally some "spam" images that make it onto the gallery--that is, images that were tagged #screenshotsaturday, but which aren't meant for gamedev's purposes. Is someone moderating what shows up? Seems like there's be more unrelated images if that weren't the case... Wouldn't it be better to have our own tag -- maybe #gdscreenshotsaturday? Or is there a way it could be filtered on known twitter entities, so that it would only pull images from tagged posts from accounts known to GDNet?

It's a mild annoyance, and the unintended images should be tame due to twitter TOS, but I still worry one day I'm gonna load up the gallery and find some NSFW images while taking a coffee break. I guess you can't do much to prevent intentional abuse, but if we can avoid unintentional clobbering of things, it seems better. Are there other game development sites pulling stock from the #screenshotsaturday hashtag? Is it meant for shots of in-development games originally, and simply co-opted by the duck-face squatters?

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Occasionally it seems that some snap chat folks like to pollute the screenshot saturday airspace. I moderate it usually on Sundays after all the saturday entries are in but I typically delete only the occasional NSFW pic that pops up. Nothing that pops up in a top list will ever be NSFW.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement