• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
suliman

how to prevent save cheating? (for games where saving is NOT allowed)

This topic is 2076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

In many games such as xcom or others, there is a big point in the player not being able to go back if something went "bad". Actions should be permanent. The punishment/difficulty for "failing" something ingame can differ, but generally you don't want the player to be able to cheat.

However it seems to be hard to technically prevent save cheating (the user just finds and backups the "savefile" and restores it later). Any good way to actually stop this from being possible? Hide or nest files or something? I mean, if i save progress in the exe instead of in a separate "savefile" the player can just backup the exefile...

(And plz dont just answer "if the player wants to cheat, let him/her". That doesnt help me.)

Thanks!
Erik

Advertisement

no serverside stuff plz:)

I know its impossible to stop it completely for someone who really wants to mess with the files on their computer. But any concrete tips on making it less easy?

Can i hide files so the user doesnt see them? Or stamp them somehow so copies can be detected ingame and not be loaded?

Thanks again

I don't think it's a case of making it less easy for them to do as less desirable. If you allow the player to save whenever and wherever they like they'll always be tempted to save just before a difficult bit and reload if they fail. Instead you could have a limited number of save locations that are sufficiently far apart that going back to a saved game would lose a significant amount of progress. This would at least discourage them from going back to a saved game even if it didn't prevent it.

Make it possible to get through the game very very easily if you have access to cheats. If the player uses cheats, all challenge is removed and the game is no longer fun. The player cannot easily limit himself to a "fun" amount of cheats because it would be a completely arbitrary limit controlled by the player and again challenge is removed.

The only option left is to play the game without cheats if you want to be entertained.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!