Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Assembler015

Events post window creation

Is there a message sent to a window after it is created and the window is fully functional so after the message is sent, the corresponding function to that message can destroy the window/edit the window if it wished. I tried using WM_SHOWWINDOW but you aren''t allowed to destroy the window through there, it crashes if you do. Thanks for any help

When a window is to be closed, the message WM_CLOSE is sent to it. When a window is to be destroyed, the message WM_DESTROY is sent to it. The difference is often very blurry.

If you want to destroy a window, call DestroyWindow(hwnd) (but not from within the Windowproc!) To terminate a window, simply call PostQuitMessage(0). That tells Windows you want to close/destroy the window.

Guest Anonymous Poster
okay, but what if it is a modal window/dialog, and when its created I want it to first check for some things, if those things exist I want the window to destroy itself. This doesn''t work if I do it in the constructor of the class or in showwindow, it just crashes...what other message are sent...so post window creation but pre window destruction.