Need people that can code AI well for huge MMORPG!

Started by
34 comments, last by amesis 22 years, 5 months ago
Need people that can code AI well for huge MMORPG! www.star-fortress.com Email me with Questions at AmesisSF@aol.com
Advertisement
ridiculous
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
ok !
i like
icq 49691403
How is this rediculous?
>How is this rediculous?

Even big companies spending millions of dollars have trouble creating these things. They have very experienced people working for them many of whom have achieved an Honors or Masters at University.

And its always kids with no experience posting on these forums
saying they can make one of these things.

Thats why its ridiculous.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
It also costs a damn lot of money to host one online... paying so much for the server network itself, then paying for the bandwidth used each month, the speed of the net connection, maintanence on the servers, the electricity bills, etc.

I laugh to myself every time I see someone post on here saying that theyre making an mmorpg. The industry veterans have a hard time making these, and take a damn long time doing it. And even then most of them have serious problems when they go public.

If you can afford it and have the talent and time required for making one, go for it. But seriously I highly doubt that you can afford it, because if you could, you would be able to hire people properly and wouldnt be seeking people on a forum like this.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
what a bunch of dicks!
quote:Even big companies spending millions of dollars have trouble creating these things. They have very experienced people working for them many of whom have achieved an Honors or Masters at University.

a degree does not imply that someone can program well (i know this because of several of the people i graduated with), nor does the lack of one imply a lack of programming skills.
big companies may spend millions and hire professionals, but that does not mean that someone can''t create one without money or a master''s degree. it is stupid to think so.
quote:It also costs a damn lot of money to host one online... paying so much for the server network itself, then paying for the bandwidth used each month, the speed of the net connection, maintanence on the servers, the electricity bills, etc.

it can be afforded without stockholders, i assure you...
quote:I laugh to myself every time I see someone post on here saying that theyre making an mmorpg. The industry veterans have a hard time making these, and take a damn long time doing it. And even then most of them have serious problems when they go public.

funny, i know of a few that are done by regular people, not "industry veterans"... i laugh to myself every time i see someone say something can''t be done. those are generally the people who just can''t imagine _themselves_ being able to do it.
quote:But seriously I highly doubt that you can afford it, because if you could, you would be able to hire people properly and wouldnt be seeking people on a forum like this.

hmm, maybe everyone that uses this forum should just outsource and hire professionals for every game they are making, too. duh.
i suppose that a "non-professional" game made by some kids instead of some huge company will not have all the bells and whistles, or as killer graphics... and i know that most of these "great ideas" end up crash-and-burning before they are done... but really, there is no need to tell someone to give up just because they are asking for help from other hobby game programmers.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Krez,
It obvious from your profile that you are a newbie. So you can''t understand the work that goes into completing a polished game. We were all like you once but experience has taught us otherwise.

Also the reason degree holders are prefered over non degree holders is they are trained so that not only they know what they are doing, they are also able to produce work that teams of people can use. Its one thing to be able to produce lighting fast code, but if people take weeks trying to decypher your work then you are a liability.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
quote:Original post by Davaris
It obvious from your profile that you are a newbie. So you can''t understand the work that goes into completing a polished game. We were all like you once but experience has taught us otherwise.

ah yes, last resort of someone who doesn''t have an argument... call me a newbie i''m more of a "re-newbie"; that is, i had several years of down-time, during which i didn''t program, so i had to start over again for the details. but i assure you, i CAN understand a lot more than you think. i don''t believe you were ever anything like me, or you wouldn''t say the things you do.
quote:Also the reason degree holders are prefered over non degree holders is they are trained so that not only they know what they are doing, they are also able to produce work that teams of people can use.

"preferred"? maybe for a job at some company, but that isn''t what i was talking about. if you had added some reading classes to your schedule when you got your "degree", you might have noticed that i was talking about hobby gamers... and where did this "work that other teams of people can use" thing come up? i am not threatening to take a job from you; i just object to your superiority complex...
quote:Its one thing to be able to produce lighting fast code, but if people take weeks trying to decypher your work then you are a liability.

ah yes, the difference between a professional programmer and a real programmer

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by krez
it can be afforded without stockholders, i assure you...

Yes... if they hold a damn lot of money in their hands.

funny, i know of a few that are done by regular people, not "industry veterans"... i laugh to myself every time i see someone say something can't be done. those are generally the people who just can't imagine _themselves_ being able to do it.

Of course I cant imagine myself creating an MMORPG for free, not paying the people who work on it, and expecting it to get hosted cheaply.

hmm, maybe everyone that uses this forum should just outsource and hire professionals for every game they are making, too. duh.

Thats not what I said and you know it. I said those that could afford to create AND host an MMORPG online would hire people who could make the game a reality. People on these forums need to set themselves some more realistic goals.

but really, there is no need to tell someone to give up just because they are asking for help from other hobby game programmers.

I mostly agree with that, but when a hobbyist attempts to create something that is WAAAAY over his head, he generally gets frustrated and angry at it. People who are asking for help creating a massive project such as an MMORPG either dont know what goes into one, or have the cash and backing to create one properly. Those with the cash and backing for one will hire people that they know will help make the game a reality. Those that are looking for people to do the work for free dont have the money or backing for such an enormous project, it would never see the light of day, and I highly doubt an alpha build would even be up and running before the project is dead.

Edited by - Maximus on November 3, 2001 1:21:57 AM
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement