Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Ocean Technology Talk

Started by
20 comments, last by TheLastOfUs 10 years, 2 months ago

I read FXGuide's Assassin's Creed III tech article. Loved it - but nothing really goes in depth to currently one of the best looking oceans for the PC platform in the shape of Black Flag.

Question for the experts -

How did they do the water? I read several SIGGRAPH papers and stuff on fluid dynamics. Did they use a "mesh" which had physics based wave frequency equations built in? If no one knows - mind telling me the most common way one makes a realistic ocean with beautiful colors like Black Flag?

Also what exactly are "shaders". I'm guessing it's a programmed script that draws pixels in a specific way...but can someone explain how "shallow water shaders" are more "advanced" in the next-gen version of this game?

Thank you,

Michael

Advertisement

Can you link to the article? Would love to read it

Sure...

Here it is

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/assassins-creed-iii-the-tech-behind-or-beneath-the-action/

Bump. can anyone help me out ?

I read FXGuide's Assassin's Creed III tech article. Loved it - but nothing really goes in depth to currently one of the best looking oceans for the PC platform in the shape of Black Flag.

How did they do the water? I read several SIGGRAPH papers and stuff on fluid dynamics. Did they use a "mesh" which had physics based wave frequency equations built in? If no one knows - mind telling me the most common way one makes a realistic ocean with beautiful colors like Black Flag?

Also what exactly are "shaders". I'm guessing it's a programmed script that draws pixels in a specific way...but can someone explain how "shallow water shaders" are more "advanced" in the next-gen version of this game?

Thank you,

Michael

Haven't seen this assasin creed yet but the most realistic water/water physics i've ever seen was in the watchdogs physics demo . . .
Omg, ubisoft owns watchdogs so that means disrupt engine may have been involved and they said they made some sort of world physics/wind implementation that affects clothing (Aiden Pierce's coat), water (in watchdogs), vegetation, effects like explosions, cars etc.

At the end oft the demo they showed some kinda really long lines that showed the movement of the wind.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Thank you,

Michael

Haven't seen this assasin creed yet but the most realistic water/water physics i've ever seen was in the watchdogs physics demo . . .
Omg, ubisoft owns watchdogs so that means disrupt engine may have been involved and they said they made some sort of world physics/wind implementation that affects clothing (Aiden Pierce's coat), water (in watchdogs), vegetation, effects like explosions, cars etc.

At the end oft the demo they showed some kinda really long lines that showed the movement of the wind.

Good to know...but not exactly answering my topic =D

Shaders are like scripts, yes, but they have a very cut down language without alot of features, and they run lightning fast on the videocards instead of the CPU.

There are multiple places in graphics APIs where you can plug in a shader to do custom work, and depending on where you plug them in, the shaders have different names. Geometry shaders work with meshes of polygons (I think), Vertex shaders work on each corner of triangles, and Fragment shaders work on each 'fragment' of triangles (where 'fragment' can kinda be thought of as a pixel, but not exactly).

I'm not sure if there were any talks yet about AC4's oceans, but GDC is in two weeks, so you might get some details then.

G D C wont have the ocean stuff...

anyone mind helping on how oceans are created?

I doubt you'll find start-to-finish explanations on those techniques. They'll probably be either too simple (ie, tutorial like, step by step guides to do simple things) or too advanced (ie, research papers that assume plenty of knowledge in the subject).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Yeah, currently thats a big issue form me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement