What is the best way to learn SDL

Started by
3 comments, last by georger.araujo 10 years, 2 months ago

Hello! I have been using C++ for quite some time and decided it was time I should attempt to develop a simple 2D game. After reviewing the libraries that seem popular for C++ game development I decided to use SDL(Simple DirectMedia Layer). After setting up the library I was quickly discouraged by the fact that there is a lack of tutorials for learning the library. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how I should go about learning this library.

Advertisement

http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/ or http://twinklebeardev.blogspot.com/p/sdl-20-tutorial-index.html work for learning SDL2. If you run into trouble with those, just explain what specific issues you're having and I'm pretty sure quite a few of us out here are using SDL2 and can try to help out.

Edit: Second URL didn't automagically become a link, so I forced it!

In my eyes the best way is next to normal tutorials to write a wrapper around sdl. The reason is simple you will come in touch with every function you build an wrapper around, you have to ask yourself what the specific function does and learning on this way that a specific functions exist.

I did it this way and i learned relativ quick how to use it

Thanks for the super quick responses guys!

Hello! I have been using C++ for quite some time and decided it was time I should attempt to develop a simple 2D game. After reviewing the libraries that seem popular for C++ game development I decided to use SDL(Simple DirectMedia Layer). After setting up the library I was quickly discouraged by the fact that there is a lack of tutorials for learning the library. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how I should go about learning this library.

I'm currently working through this book that walks you through making two 2D games - I've found a few problems, e.g. forgetting to mention that a member variable should be included in the constructor initializer list, and using a member function that was not defined (a simple one-liner, but still), but so far I like it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement