The gaming industry, advice!

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 2 months ago

started first work in gaming at 28?!

I went down a different career path at first after flirting with some other jobs out of high school. In general I wouldn't recommend jumping right into a costly and time-consuming higher education unless you're sure you know what you want to do. If you just want to get the basics out of the way, aim for a cheap community college that you can later transfer to a full 4-year university once you have a good idea what you probably want to do with the rest of your life.

and isnt an art or computer art degree or whatever only a year or 2?

There are technical schools that are this quick. They're not really degrees in that they're usually not accredited programs. A BFA (Bcahelor of Fine Art) degrees usually takes 4 years.

Im starting to lean more towards level design, less animation more textures and building maps, something that sounds veryyyy apealing to me, like creating flora/vegatation to my liking or laying out the landscape like hills to creating an urban closed off battle place where balancing and thought is put in. I know interest change, and I have gone through diff phases were id want to do one thing and then a couple months later I change my mind, however this one has a unique spark to it!

You're young. Experiment with any interest that does pop into mind. You wont' know how you really feel about something until you've tried it.

If I were to take a direct path into level design is that such a job that I could makee a living off of? or do I have to be able to do a variety of things to get a longterm job.

Spend some time building maps or modding existing games. It's good practice, gives you time to decide if you really enjoy it, and helps build up your portfolio.

I'll echo both of the previous sentiments about degrees: they can be a help or useless depending on which companies and jobs you apply for. You'll likely need to do some research on the companies you're interested in and jobs you're interested in once you have a better idea. I wouldn't worry too much about it at your age just yet; just do your best in high school so if you do end up wanting to go to college you have plenty of options available to you.

what exactly is coding, and why is it refered to as a language, is it hard to learn, what are the types and what is coding used for?

You have to express rules to the computer. Just like expressing ideas to a human being is done through language, expressing ideas to the computer is done via language (though computer languages are not at all like natural spoken languages). By itself the computer doesn't know how to do anything of interest as it's just a glorified calculator. Coding (aka programming, software engineering, developing, etc.) is the act of telling the computer what to do to get all those things on your screen to appear to move and act and do interesting things. Game designers will sometimes do a little bit of simple coding (mostly just hooking up logic snd events, like spawning an enemy when the player enters a particular room) but all of the really hard/interesting stuff is left to the dedicated software engineers. You might try watching the introductory Khan Academy videos on programming to better understand what coding/programming is in general.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Advertisement

I am so happy to recieve so much advice! I will defiently expirement with coding and art in gaming. This is really dumb but I wanted to start off with the free software called scratch, super simple, but after playing around with it, its actualy quite confusing, not hard just confusing. I did look at game maker, and after I get better with scratch il move to making games on game maker, where if the quality is good imo, I might even ask a indie game selling website if they'd advertise it so make some money, and more importantly get me known by the community, andddd recieve critsism for future projects. unity looks like such a cool software, I am thinking of finding people from school who are expirenced with coding in the future and making a fps survival game, or a fps simulator. Despite my plans for the future, I am getting rather frusterated with scratch! any tutorials you guys could suggest for making a game off of scratch? found a few, but they all had diff versions from the one I have off of teh website, and sometimes they werent clear!

I am getting rather frusterated with scratch! any tutorials you guys could suggest for making a game off of scratch? found a few, but they all had diff versions from the one I have off of teh website, and sometimes they werent clear!

samsonite, this discussion is taking place in the game industry Job Advice board because you started off asking about preparing to get a job in the industry. In this forum we only talk about job advice -- not technical questions about game making tools. We have to compartmentalize our discussions according to the board/forum topics. If you want to ask questions now about Scratch and Game Maker, please go to the For Beginners board and start a new thread there. If you don't have any more questions about preparing for a game industry job, maybe this thread should be closed (it's easy enough to start a new one anytime).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

fair enough, but id like this thread or whatever its called to stay up, simply because I can look back at it. But I understand if you HAVE to delete it

I do not intend to delete it. Just close it, if it goes into an off-topic technical discussion.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement