Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roof Top Pew Wee

Could unreleased memory cause this problem?

When I am programming in VC++ 6 and runnin my program every once in a while to test it, after a while, whenever I do CTRL C or CTRL X to copy or cut, the compiler freezes up. When this happens, the next time I try to complile my program, it freezes at the very beginning. I thought this was being caused by me not releasing all of my objects at the end of my program, but not only did I check over all of that, but I also have 384 MB of RAM in my comp. It''d take a lot of unfreed mem to fill this up, and the freezing usually happens every 20-40 minutes. Is this a common thing that happens due to not freeing up memory, and if so, what are some things I can do to check what is being freed up and what is not. --Vic-- PS: Could this have anything to do with having 384 MB of ram? 128+256. I did notice this problem shortly after I installed the 256.

I''ve also 384 megs of ram, and everything is doing fine. I also often forgot to release COM objects and free memory, but i''ve never noticed any problems. If you say it didn''t happen before you bought the ram it looks like your recently bought ram is faulty.

greets cruz

Guest Anonymous Poster
I also have 384 MB RAM, and MSVC++ does lock up sometimes, though after I kill and restart it it works fine again. The problems aren''t caused by not releasing memory though (I know this because the occasional hangups happen regardless of whether I have run any program of my own making, or just been writing code).

I don''t think it''s related to the memory (unless as cruZ said, you have bad RAM modules, but in any case not freeing memory shouldn''t cause problems like that).

I thought to see if the memory was at fault. Either because the memory was faulty, or because I don''t have symmetrical memory (I have 2 chips of 64 and one of 256). I removed the memory, and alas found the same problem as before. I guess it is somewhat comforting to know that other people have had this problem, but still, I don''t like resetting 10 times a day when I program. If anyone has any ideas, thanks. If not, well, Christmas is around the corner

--Vic--

Guest Anonymous Poster
make sure you have the latest service pack, which is 5 i think

Yes it''s an update for MS VS, but it''s quite large. You can get it at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/default.asp