Sign in to follow this  
Acharis

Automatic/semi automatic building space ships

Acharis    5979

If the player were having any hand in designing the ship, they'd see this. If the AI was designing the ship based on what it's told then it would only have to understand this and have an optimized input method, reading the ship class and then adding the proper components in.
So, should the human fill slots or AI? Or maybe half/half (human gives priorities and AI fills slots based on these priorities)?

ActiveUnique    867

If the player were having any hand in designing the ship, they'd see this. If the AI was designing the ship based on what it's told then it would only have to understand this and have an optimized input method, reading the ship class and then adding the proper components in.
So, should the human fill slots or AI? Or maybe half/half (human gives priorities and AI fills slots based on these priorities)?

If 1000 ships are meant to all be created differently, let the AI do it based on those priorities we talked about. But if a player was allowed to at least view what his ships are flying out of dock with limitations, he might have something to consider.

If the player could customize one ship and have the rest streamlined then we're not accomplishing our goal here.

Acharis    5979

Let's take a look at it from the interface point of view.

Misc screens

The player would have a standard reseach screen where ship hulls and other stuff is invented (I'm ignoring it since it's easy). Then there is some sort of "imperial budget" screen where the player can decide how many credits/resources are spent on military (I will ignore that one for now too).

Ships production screen

I could have a list of all ships invented. Next to each there are buttons:

- First one is a green "build" and when you click it it turns into red "don't build" (it affects if the AI is allowed to buy that hull/ship)

- Second is green "active duty" and when you click it it turns into red "in reserve" (it affects if the AI is allowed to put that ship into fleets, if marked as "in reserve" it will try to remove this model from existing fleets, even if there are shortages)

- Third is green "in service" and when you click it it turns into red "allow scrapping" (it affects if the AI is allowed to scrap that ship model if it thinks these are outdated, too many and generally not needed anymore)

And that's it, no production priorities (generally, the AI will try to automaticly adjust production based on desired fleets composition & size, always producing the newest researched model (that is marked as allowed to be built) of desired class).

Equipment production screen

I'm not sure, maybe a list of all equipment (boosters, missiles, shields) with a priority setting? (but reactors would be not listed since these need to be selexcted by the AI (energy generated to energy used by the ship, which is much better to be left to the AI... but on the other hand, if the player knows he will soon need better reactors since a new power hungly battleships will be researched soon, he might want to say he wants more "too powerfull" reactors to be produced...) That one is hard for me :)

Fleet screen (separate per fleet)

The most important screen, it decides on the composition of your fleets. I think I would not list there any specific ships/hulls, but just classes (flagships, battleships, fighter carriers, torped corvetes, destroyers, recon frigates, etc). And the AI will decide what model of each class to assign there based on the fleet priority. Also, I think I would list the classes without exact percentages but as a description.

It could look like this:

- number of flotillas (1-6) (or "add flotilla" button)

- priority (very low, low, below average, average, above average, high, very high) [determines quality of ships and reinforcements speed]

- composition

* [support] flagships (none, minimum, optimum, maximum) [it will adjust the exact number of flagships to the size of each flotilla, default is "optimum"]

* [support] recon - similar to flagships, proportional to other ships  (none, minimum, optimum, maximum)

* [combat] battleships (none, few, some, many, a lot) [how many of these proportional to other combat ships]

* [combat] cruisers (none, few, some, many, a lot) [how many of these proportional to other combat ships]

* [combat] destroyers (none, few, some, many, a lot) [how many of these proportional to other combat ships]

* [combat] etc, all types of combat ships would be listed similarly

- tactics [some setting deciding how flotillas of that fleet fight, not sure]

- agressiveness (victory at all cost, reasonable, defensive) [affects under what level of casualities flottilas of that fleet will retreat]

Probably there also need to be some sort of "equipment" setting (what install first on ships of that fleet). Without exact models of equipment, just categories (engine boosters, armours, additional shields, escape pods, targetting computers).

Flotilla screen (separate per flotilla)

Each flotilla belongs to a fleet. It has minimum cusrtomization since most is decided on the fleet screen.

- size (tiny, small, average, big, huge) [how many ships are there, compared to your total number of ships]

- maybe specialization? (like combat, recon, space marines on board, etc) ?