Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horizon?

This topic is 5885 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do I change the view range? I''ve created a ''box'' sky, but I can''t see the horizon since OpenGL doesn''t draw all the way. And another question, creating the sky as a ''box'', is this to recommend? I mean, are there some other solutions? (I can''t think of any) - Surreal (Surreal was already taken, so I went with SurrealSlacker...)

Hi there, well.. I will explain how I would do it, I''m sure it''s hundreds of ways to do this, anyways. here goes

For the first question of yours, in my project in my
void SizeOpenGLScreen(int width, int height) {
// Stuff
// FOV // Ratio // The farthest distance before it stops drawing)
gluPerspective(45.0f,(float)width/(float)height,0.1f,300.0f);
// where 300 is the distance of drawing.
// More Stuff
}

And over to the next question, I have used in my projects a Sphere which I draw all over the scene, and textured it. The sphere has only 20 sides, so it dosent take too much of your resources to draw..
I hope this answer your questions!

Kenneth Wilhelmsen
Download my little game project HERE
--------------------------
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has
been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This
disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless
brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just be careful changing the far clipping plane. Unless you plan to draw many objects at that distance, its probably better to just disable the depth test, if your far and near clipping planes get too far apart the accuracy drops

Just leading into what Terran Fury mentioned, i hope you realize that you dont need a skybox to surround your entire world. it can be a measly 1x1x1 cube about the player. Trickery is always the best way of producing the closest thing to realism.