Trend : the return of tactical RPG game

Started by
2 comments, last by Orymus3 10 years, 2 months ago

"Is it just me or I see more and more tactical RPG game?"

I have the impression of seeing more and more tactical rpg project especially on website like Gamedev.net or IndieDB. Some years ago I don't remember seeing as much tactical around. Is this genre coming back? Or has it never disappeared?

Want to share some thought about it?

Advertisement

I think there were a few hits that helped give more visibility to this phenomenon (I don't think there are more tactical RPGs being made, but there may be more hype regarding them).

X-COM really helped people with a love for grid-based combat and unit customization. It was a rock-solid game and very refreshing when it came out. A bunch of kickstarters inevitably followed, and several people started to refer to this game as a source of influence for the gameplay of their games.

Like I said, I don't think there's tangibly more tactical rpgs being made as we speak, but there's certainly more hype at the moment.

That being said, I'd like to see a tactical RPG that's fast-paced. That'd be a change!

My approach is not scientificaly correct, and is not meant to be. I just wanted to share my impression :)

As tactical RPG I mean a game where the fight is the main core and is turn-based and had some rpg element (equipemnt, level, skills). The definition is kind of broad, but the likes of final fantasy tactic, disagea, x-com, Dogs of war, FIre-emblem, etc..

If you happened to find one thing like this interesting you start to look for it, and then it is everywhere.

I guess it's what happened, but am I the only one?

That being said, I'd like to see a tactical RPG that's fast-paced. That'd be a change!

Some times ago i was thinking of making a tactictal game but without the turn-based mechanics to make it more fast-paced, and then I realized that it already exist and it's called a Real time Strategy game ^^'

But I agree :D

The thing that annoys me with tactical is the scope. You can't go about casual encounters as per a regular rpg, because of the sheer scope of a single battle (Bahamut Lagoon is a big offender here), but games like X-Com shed a bit of light on how to make things fast-paced, so there IS hope.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement