What's a good way to approach game devs?

Started by
2 comments, last by Gard3 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey, thanks for any advice. So I've got an IP with a tiny bit of traditional publishing street cred, not much yet, but it's selling - and what I want to do is see if any developers out there would be interested in partnering to make it into some kind of game.

Straight up, I don't care what kind, or if it stays true to the IP, or if it's an MMO or RPG or shooter or sidescroller or anything. 8-bit Pong with faces, OK by me. I would not want to influence the dev or anything. I want to see what you guys come up with. The narrative has a lot of angles.

Is there a right place or a wrong place to pitch it? What's a good way to approach people? Just email left and right, or is there a process? I know most like to write their own story, which is important, but this already has OPM behind it, so there are easy angles to getting it publicized.

Thanks for any help.

-gs

Advertisement

if any developers out there would be interested in partnering to make it into some kind of game.

Straight up, I don't care what kind, or if it stays true to the IP ...

You just posted the fastest way to "burn out" a project possible.

Also there is a recruitment thread in these forums under "Classifieds"

Edit:

Bad ideas:

1: recruiting random people

2: having no direction whats-so-ever

3: having no incentive for your "dev" team

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. I've got an IP with a tiny bit of traditional publishing street cred, not much yet, but it's selling -
2. and what I want to do is see if any developers out there would be interested in partnering to make it into some kind of game.
3. Straight up, I don't care what kind, or if it stays true to the IP,
4. or if it's an MMO or RPG or shooter or sidescroller or anything. 8-bit Pong with faces, OK by me. I would not want to influence the dev or anything. I want to see what you guys come up with.
5. Is there a right place or a wrong place to pitch it?
6. What's a good way to approach people?
7. Just email left and right, or is there a process?
8. this already has OPM behind it, so there are easy angles to getting it publicized.

1. If it's only tiny cred, it's a harder sell.
2. Only if you bring money to the endeavor.
3. What??? The only reason to use an IP is to stay true to it.
4. That's not much of a plan.
5. Yes. The wrong place is "developers." The right place is "publishers" or "VC."
6. In a businesslike way, with a solid business idea.
7. Read FAQ 21: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.htm
8. "Other people's money" (I had to look it up). See FAQ 11: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom, good reading.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement