• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

GPU Crashes with DrawIndexedPrimitives

This topic is 1441 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I'm drawing a terrain in my game using DrawIndexedPrimitives with 262144 (512*512) vertices.

Here's the line:

GraphicsDevice.DrawIndexedPrimitives(PrimitiveType.TriangleList, 0, 0, nVertices, 0, nIndices / 3);

The terrain draws well, but I tried to change the startIndex parameter, but my GPU starts to have problem at the rank 6139:

GraphicsDevice.DrawIndexedPrimitives(PrimitiveType.TriangleList, 0, 0, nVertices, 6139, nIndices / 3);

Under 6139, everything is fine. At 6139 and above, I got some weird problems, I got messages saying the kernel of my GPU has crashed, etc.

I have an nVidia 9800GTX+.

I can't find a link between 6139 and any other variables in my code. Where could be the problem from?

Thank you!

Edited by LemonBiscuit

Advertisement
You can't use a startIndex > 0 and use the same primitiveCount. If the index buffer isn't big enough I'm not surprised you get a crash (the driver probably now tries to read beyond allocated memory). This MSDN entry explains the underlying D3D9 logic for DrawIndexedPrimitive, especially have a look at scenario 3. So you need to decrease primitiveCount accordingly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement