Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Creamy

How to overcome biggest hurdle - Motivation?

This topic is 1806 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Programming should be fun. .....like you sit down to program and after a couple of hours something cool appears on the screen. (of course thats not the case when you work for someone else, but then you get paid for it.) If you do it this way, you will have enough momentum/motivation to push through the hard times when you have to research, analyze, plan, program for days without anything appearing on the screen.

Do something small. Make a sketch how the game should look like then list all the modules, features you will have to create. Normally if you cant list most of them the game you chose is not small enough.

...and a 2000 page c++ manual on the other, the only people worthy of being game developers are the people who run to the C++ book without a seconds thought?

If you are dedicated and find joy in game dev, that will come naturally:) And sometimes you have to force yourself doing it. Not all the time but without working hard you wont see much from your dream-games.

(I dont recommend books if you want to gain motivation now. Tutorials, gamedev.net, stackoverflow are a better idea.)

Also.... finish a game. I think game dev is not about spending years planning, making demos, engines(!), engine-fragments, game-fragments, ...but releasing games.(Ive learned that the hard way, LOL)

Thats exactly what happens to me, I will be playing a game or watching a movie and suddenly I will be extracting things from the media and I keep thinking about what I can take away from the media that will help me, or what I would of done differently. I am terrible at drawing freehand so I usually right down a few pages of messy information in hopes I will remember what I was thinking at the time. I always get vivid vignettes and I want to stop them filling up my memoryangry.png .

In what way is it best to plan your study and project work? Just a simple calendar or spreadsheet? Is there a particular program you use for organization?

After watching many interviews with "Lord British" AKA Richard Garriot, I really like the old style design document and planning he does in clip lock folders, similar but far more organized than what I do. Nothing like beautiful concept art or maps.

I agree that its important to make sure you understand every line of code in a tutorial to the point you can call on it and modify it yourself, I have caught myself copy pasting once to many. I had a pretty good c++ regime last year where I had the book next to my keyboard so it was easier for me to do some practise each night because it was in my face. Books are so boring though, need more stimulation than that, I'm one of those learn by doing or viewing people.

That code project site looks awesome, does Gamedev have tutorials on languages in particular?

Thankyou everyone for the advice so far, I feel like I really need to change the way I do things this year or I am probably doomed to procrastinate forever and I have already wasted more than enough time.

Edited by Creamy

As to me it seems that no motivation is a problem but time, or do i notunderstand? If you got a 5 hours a week you cand do it (is there a problem with motivation to do it?) The trouble is IMO that even doing this 

70 hours a week (as I do, (or almost)) may be not sufficient to doing something finished/polished - it steel needs yet tremendous amount of time (at least in my case when i am going forward but it needs and burns so much time) that is a hurdle

Motivation is the major issue, time just makes it worse. Yes the amount of time  needed to even finish the smallest project assuming you don't need to study programming and are well experienced is very hard to squeeze in when you work, but getting home from work and sitting down with a whisky then trying to wake yourself up for programming can be a little tough.

Some people seem to have no problem allocating time to work on something and study, but I always run out of steam or get distracted before I get too far.

Motivation is the major issue, time just makes it worse.

Motivation may be problem for you but there are many many people (like me) who ae zero problem with motivation and this grants me nothing when we speaking about results (motivation can be only problem for some and dont think this is 'major' problem, this is just 'tiny' problem 0.001of real major problems )

For me as i said time is the major problem (not only time needed for conducting a game project from beginning to the polished end) but also this time needed to gain experience to the level of being considered somewhat experienced (which is also counted in years)

And even this ('being experienced' - which takes many years of hard work do not grant you that you will conduct a good game* - you steel need to go much further)

*there are many examples on this, may people are experienced but still not created a good noticable game

thought all this path is possible to be taken and travelled but there comes a major problem - time

So for me the time is maybe one and only one realy big problem (on top of all problems), the other can be just solved by reading the google and an amount of patience and logical (+creative etc..) thinking - but the time needed to embrace/take it all is still a dooming problem. Edited by jbadams

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!