• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fir

Is today programming a games easier or harder than in 8,16- bit era?

This topic is 2069 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wonder if today (I mean 2010+ era) programming (also making & shipping)

gammes are easier or just harder than in late 80 or early 90-ties (it is in 8-16-

bit era of atari/c64/amiga)....?

I must say that I think probably it is much harder, but would like to hear opinions on this.. 

Advertisement

I also think back then it was much easier .. so world goes in the strange way when you should have much easier you got much harder

The development tools do make things far easier now than they did back then (where you'd be writing your own HEX->Machine code editors in BASIC). 

The difficulty of game development today though, is simply because the machines are so much more capable, which means you'll be using a lot of 3D/4D mathematics because the users have come to expect flashy 3D graphics with bump mapping, DOF, ambient occlusion, etc. 

That complexity simply wasn't there in the 8/16bit days, because the hardware wasn't capable of handling it. 

As the others have said, it depends on the game. For example, if you wanted to make a game to emulate an 8-, 16-bit game today (graphics and sound wise) it would be super easy thanks to all the tools and libraries out there today. If you get into games like COD, Battlefield, Final Fantasy XIII, Uncharted, etc. where everything is way more complex to do and then it is harder even with the tools and libraries. Though, with some of the engines they have, I guess you could take COD and Battlefield (well at least COD) off the list as examples.

It depends.  If you mean actually programming a AAA game then there is no contest today its harder because gamers demand much more from their games the best graphics, believable AI, Achievments, Multiplayer.  Don't forget in the 8 bit era people could spend £20 on a text based adventure game.

On the otherhand nowadays it is fairly trivial to write a hello world in C++ but, back on the Amiga most people wrote in Assembler and had to write their own bootloader just to run their program.

As the others have said, it depends on the game. For example, if you wanted to make a game to emulate an 8-, 16-bit game today (graphics and sound wise) it would be super easy thanks to all the tools and libraries out there today.

strangely i am not sure even if we talking about such simple games

- to learn a library like SDL you need today to learn so many things

so i am not sure if this is easier even in such small game case 

Also doing music for game, i dont know how easy it is today (not doing it) but back then i think tools were simpler, so today they are maybe better but also more complex

In 8-16- bit era there was myriad of very fine stylish games today are not present (or i do not know of)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!