Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick2048

Window message threads

Has anyone had exerpience using window message threads in a game? Is it avisable, or is there some problem with them that I don''t see?

No, I mean using Window message threads as a means to pass information from one thread to another. Say I have one subsystem in one thread which generates events that are sent to another subsystem in another thread.

I have no idea what you mean by "window message threads".

If you have multiple threads with a message pump in each one (i.e. they call GetMessage/PeekMessage/etc) then you can use PostThreadMessage to send a message from one to another. It works fine.

There are a billion other ways to do interthread communication also.

-Mike

Using windows message threads I take it means starting a thread that has its own separate message queue. In MFC-speak, it''s a UI thread instead of a worker thread. I can''t say whether it''s good or bad--it has its uses, and it really depends on what you''re trying to do. If messages are a comfortable way for you to do inter-thread communication, and you like the thread paradigm of using ::WaitMessage in the main loop, go for it.

The only problem with it, is that you have to wait for the OS to route the message - if that doesn''t matter it''ll work fine.

Alternatives are events and semaphores and access to the same data structures protected with critical sections. You can pass a thread a context pointer, so you can run a thread within the context of a class to give it access to data, if you want to.