BCB AND NEWBIE GAME DEV

Started by
17 comments, last by SAKIRA 22 years, 5 months ago
Ah, so thats why you email me about how to get it to work, then disappear...
In any case, there isn''t any proper tutorials. Mainly because I HAVE no time. (see. Proper use of CAPS :-))
Anyway, back to the point. To create something like tetris, you will probably need to look at Simple2D (in the examples directory) or say, Animation. Both show you how to get a simple 2d engine up, putting out sprites, etc. Animation also shows you how to get a simple frame animation (an animation with the frames as bitmaps in a texture) working. For tetris, you can search the net, what you need, is the basic algorithm for it. In any language, using any API, the underlying program is the same. It''s just window dressing...
Basically, in Tetris, you need an matrix (i.e. int screen[50][50]) that represents your world. Each int in the matrix represents the block color on the screen (or block texture). Next, every frame, you need to move the current shape down, first erasing it on the screen matrix, then putting it in the right place (one line down). You also must check for collisions. Next, when a line is full, move everything down a line in the matrix. Have a draw function to draw the matrix.
Hey, you have to do something yourself. The draw function, given a matrix of ints or whatever, shouldn''t be to difficult. Try to get that working first. Then add falling blocks, then collisions, then finally the scores and dissappearing lines.
In fact, I may even write a quick game using BCBDXLib of tetris...hmm..
Nope, not enough time

------------------------------
BCB DX Library - RAD C++ Game development for BCB
Advertisement
Thx alot man
Your the coolest!!!!!!
I didnt ask you such a big question cause i didnt want to take up your time. But as usual you came through. The great C++ FREAK!
Ill see what i can do.
Thx again 8]
THE AMAZING BEER HUNTER WROTE ME A TUTORIAL FOR TETRIS IN BCB BUT ITS IN BCB3 I HAVE 5 PRO
IT DOESNT CONVERT PROPERLY
CAN ANY1 SHOW ME HOW TO FIX THIS?
ok ok ok
beer hunter wrote a programm in bcb3 and it doesnt convert to 5.5 pro correctly
can any1 help me?
Hello

I have another question but if you can pls answer the above also
I make a console app in bcb and the window closes before I can read it
how do I take care of that
I''ve tried the conio hearder and getch() function but it still closes
I also had bcb compile one code and it ran another whats up with that?
I closed all too!!!
scary!

thx again

Sakira

when you buy my game and my signature will be in caps!!!!
MMMUUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a fairly advanced BCB programmer and the only DX library I can get to work right is DirectDraw.
I can get Direct3D working in Windowed and Fullscreen but I need to to work using a TPanel. But no one answered my posts and I DON''T EVEN USE ALL CAPS.
Anyway, I would help you, but I have programmed about 5 (10,000+ lines of code) commercial BCB apps and I still can''t get DirectX to "fully" work .
Andrew Curioso (honds)
DirectX is screwy. The really big problem is the converted library files, which you can find around the net.
As to you, Sakira, where have you been?
To get a console prog to not close you just add in a getch() just before it ends? Right?
Anyway, see ya all later

------------------------------
BCB DX Library - RAD C++ Game development for BCB
honds, when you tell DirectDraw or Direct3D the window to copy the output to, specify the handle of the panel, not the form. Also specify the handle of the panel in the DirectDrawClipper. This way the output will be restricted to the panel.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
yes ive tried the getch() and added the conio.h alnog with it.
but it still doesnt work
ive even tried to onclude system
and ue the system pause function
no haps

so whats next
point a gun at it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement