help me guyz

Started by
3 comments, last by KoMaXX 10 years, 2 months ago
hi there,

guys m new at this thing. I want to know some book to begin with game designing. I don't know anything about the topic, yet I m interested in this. so plz suggest me some books which could help me with it. I need a step by step procedure. I mean as m new to game designing, I don't have any idea about it.

well, I know programming, C, C++, C#, JAVA are the languages with which I m comfortable.

so please suggest me some good book. or give me the link for free ebook.

thank you in advance.
Advertisement

In my opinion, you learn game design by prototyping things and trying things out. Of course, there are books about some elements of game design but these will only help, you can't just read them and be able to do it. And, BTW, you also learn how to design games by playing great games others have made... ;)

Maybe 'A book of lenses' is a good book for you?

It's tough love, but some things that might help you here on gamedev:

Please pick a topic title other than "Help." Be descriptive about what your question is. You're much more likely to get what you're looking for.

Read the forum FAQ. Go to the Beginners forum and look on the right side of the page for the link.

In that FAQ, among many good suggestions, you'll find that others are more likely to help you if you give some indication that you're making an effort yourself. In particular, what have you done to find an appropriate source of info? I just got 1,590,000,000 hits on Google for "how to program a game." Were NONE of those any help to you?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

I want to know some book to begin with game designing. I don't know anything about the topic, yet I m interested in this. so plz suggest me some books which could help me with it. I need a step by step procedure. I mean as m new to game designing, I don't have any idea about it.

well, I know programming, C, C++, C#, JAVA are the languages with which I m comfortable.

Game design is very different from game programming.

If you want to learn about game design, I suggest you start by learning the mechanics of Dungeons and Dragons and similar board and table games. Also learn the mechanics of various card games like Magic, Pokemon, and whatever others people near you play. Make friends at your local game store and spend time on many of the open game nights; most game stores have them very frequently. Take time to play the bad games and unpopular games, too. Also read all the rules and read about rule variants on their fan sites. Try the rules, experiment with your own. Build your own maps, your own cards, or your games.

If you want to learn about programming, I suggest you pick any one of those four languages and move from comfort to mastery. Get a book on algorithms and implement them all in your language of choice. Attend school in with at least a bachelor's degree in computer science; study hard so you understand not just the mechanics of a single language but instead realize the nature behind all the languages. For now, though, just pick up some of the recommended books on the language of your choice and work through them carefully and methodically, from cover to cover.

I get questions like these quite often, and my recommendation is always the same:

Try it the other way round.

First: Come up with of a small project that you would like to do, let's say something like another Flappy Bird clone. And then: Do it. You will pretty quickly stumble upon a score of questions (target players, graphics style, scoring, balancing, color palettes, marketing, ...), and then you try to find the answer for each question as you go along wherever you can get it. Yes, it will take longer but you will learn SO MUCH MORE since you understand the problem in the first place.

I tried the "read a book first and then start doing it" approach a few times and it's simply not as effective.

An you'll have fun on the way, too ;)

EDIT: Made it a little less condescending. Sorry. Not in my right mind right now.

Go on, feed your brain: http://poroba.com/flip/flipz.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement