Isometric game contest idea

Started by
20 comments, last by Witchcraven 22 years, 5 months ago
I was looking through forums and several had contests started, and that looks like a lot of fun. It think we should start a contest where we create 2D isometric games. They should have to be only 2D. I just think 2D iso games are really cool. We would need a theme an a disk space mem limit, so games do not win on large impressive graphics alone. I was thinking 5 megs? Anyone interested please reply.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Advertisement
Good idea, but it should allow d3d. What I mean is, don''t only allow dirctdraw for rendering. I''m not against ddraw, but i''ve switched to d3d for the tile rendering but 2d units and stuff being displayed. That way, you can have cool lighting. It would still be in 2d but with the tiles rendered in 3d. Just an idea
good idea..
but to really get alot of people to participate, you should broaden it a bit..
for example.. make it tile-based in general.. not just ISO view..
or if you''re gonna make it just iso, let people use D3D or OpenGL for effects/lighting, ect...
or even let them use 3d and just lock the camera into an isometric view.
just my 2cents

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Ok, that works wit me. I myself use opengl for fast renderind fast 2d graphics, but just for the speed. But the reason I was going for 2d sprites is because that way newbies will atleast have a chance to do graphics as well as the advanced people. But I agree, you should be able to do special effects and rendering with a 3d api. But it should look 2d, except for the special effects. How does that sound
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Oh yeah, being able to do the game in Linux or win should be an option. I have both on the same system. I will be a judge. My system is: 1.0ghz amd athlon, GeForce 2 mx, 128 megs of ram. Please, no viruses.
For win i have dX8, on win me
For Linux I have Red Hat 7.2, with nvidia drivers 1514 drivers, sdl 1.2.

We need a few more judges who can judge both linux and windows.

All of the games need source and binaries. The binaries need to run without me downloading a bunch of libs. I will download any needed sdl libs you need. But I would suggest you package them with your game. They will not take off the 5 meg memory limit.
ok. its put up or shut up time.

i put up a showcase script on isohex.net to ease the uploading and storage of contest entries.

http://www.isohex.net/showcase

go there, get yourself a login, verify it, and upgrade to "developer" status. it''s a pretty easy little system to use.

Get off my lawn!

Lol, take a look at the directx contest post. They''re all rambling on about nothing. Anyway, I''m signing up for the contest but I might not enter due to the fact that I''m still working bugs in my iso engine, BISO 3D. I havn''t even started a project yet so I might not have time to make one. I''ll try though...
Ok, I got an isohex.net project up there. People, start signing up. My email is wryken@yahoo.com, if you need to contact me. Sign up on this forum or e-mail me. The rules as of now are:
Must be iso game, with 2D look. But you can use 3d for speed rendering, and special effects. No 3d sprites. Entries can be linux or windows. There is a six meg (decompressed) limit, for binaries, data, and source. I added the sixth meg for source. You may use external libraries, and they will not count off memory. But they cant be just for this game, and they have to be published. I can have acceleration for OpenGL and D3D, if you need it. If you have any suggestions, post them. If you are interested in being a judge, post, but you need to be able to run both Linux and windows, on a decent machine. Just because it is supposed to have a 2D feel, doesnt mean you cant over work my GeForce 2 with special effects. For those who only want to do 2D with a 2D API, go for it.

Edited by - witchcraven on November 2, 2001 5:01:20 PM
I am not going ot enter, cos I am only just getting an understanding of OpenGL {If anyone knows of the source to a free OpenGL IsoEngine, I''d appreciate the link, just so I can compare what I have done.)

The big question that struck me when I read it was timescale !
Are you after almost complete games, or is there enough time in the competition for someone to start from scratch ?

Bp.
I would enter if 3D tile engines were allowed of the likes of Warcraft3 or EmpireEarth. But since you only want 2D like engines, I guess I am out.

Possibility

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement