Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AgentC

Old school 3D engines

This topic is 1802 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd be interested to read about the very old school (pre-Wolfenstein) 3D engines used in DOS-era simulation games such as LHX Attack Chopper, for example about the data / acceleration structures they used to represent the 3D worlds. Any resources you know of? A cursory Google search did not reveal much.

I remember programming filled 3D graphics in the DOS days using tutorials like the PC-GPE, but at the time my understanding of things like matrices, frustum culling, proper clipping or acceleration structures were pretty much nonexistent; if I had multiple objects to draw I'd just store them to a flat array.

Nowadays it's common to use a quadtree or octree, but when dealing with 16-bit segmented memory, it wouldn't be that straightforward.

Advertisement

Thanks, I've read some of his articles, but that's a nice compilation.

There's of course also the source code of Second Reality which includes a general 3D engine part, though that's still concerned with a rather small number of 3D objects in the scene so it uses a simple object list for the scene management as far as I understood.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!