Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
francot514

Hi, im new and am working on text-based roleplay Elder Scrolls game...

This topic is 1798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, to all of you, im new in community. I have decided to make a text based roleplay game themed in Elder Scrolls series, that i will call Elder Scrolls Adventures, im developting it with my Visual Studio 2010 knowledge, using two applications connected by a mysql database, to store characters progress and profiles. The main application feature a simple gui that allow player create character and for acess all data trought the game like profile, inventory, journal, skills, map, etc. The second one connected is a console application that allow user roleplaying with text interactions... Check for some screenshoots.

11vs9hd.jpg

x2waiw.jpg

lh7b9.jpgadc6ec.jpg

Advertisement
Why ilegal, i only using it for recreation purposes, not for commerce or bussines about, i also create my different story and nothing has been copied from original games, except for the roleplay themed features... Edited by francot514

Why ilegal, i only using it for recreation purposes, not for commerce or bussines about, i also create my different story and nothing has been copied from original games, except for the roleplay themed features...

Just because you aren't making money off it, that doesn't mean it doesn't affect their business.

I'm going to use Nintendo as an example:
Imagine I made the best Mario game ever. It is super awesome. And entirely free. So Nintendo goes out of business because my game is better than theirs.
Nintendo's success is Mario. Only they can make Mario games. If I make a really great Mario game for free, I can drive them out of business, because I stole their property: the Mario character.
My free game costs Nintendo real money. So it's illegal, because Mario is Nintendo's property.

Imagine I made the worst Mario game ever. It is amazingly badly done. So people who have heard of Mario but never played one, find my game and mistakenly think Nintendo made it (and why wouldn't they? I used Nintendo's characters, which creates confusion). So they play my crappy game and think that it is an official Nintendo game, and when they see the poor quality, they decide, "Hey, I'm never going to play a Nintendo game again.".
My free game costs Nintendo real money. So it's illegal, because Mario is Nintendo's property.

It's the same exact thing with Bethesda's Elder Scrolls universe. Even free games have financial costs that either damage or compete with the real property of real businesses that invested real money. A free game is still a real game, and real games have real impact.

Thankfully, Bethesda isn't likely to sue you, but it's still illegal (not criminally illegal, just civilly illegal).

However, why not just use your own work? You're creative. Why don't you own your own property? Even if it's inspired by the Elder Scrolls games, you can change the names, change some of the ideas, and come up with your own great game world!

Sure, it might be less popular than Elder Scrolls, but that's because Bethesda worked hard, invested alot of money, and built up years of goodwill to build their universe, and it's not really fair for someone else to come and steal Bethesda's hardwork for a game that Bethesda doesn't control.

Your game looks like it's coming along well! Why not go the entire way, and make a game that is uniquely, creatively, and cleverly your own artistic work? Edited by Servant of the Lord

i also create my different story and nothing has been copied from original games, except for the roleplay themed features...

You copied the name, which is a registered trademark.  Brand names are extremely valuable pieces of IP, and Bethesda are very protective of their IP.  They sued Mojang just for creating a game called Scrolls.

Ad in addition to the reasons that Servant stated, if companies do not actively defend their IP rights, they can lose them.

What should i do now then, rename the game, or game all themed features???? Becuase i have advanced a little in development progress.

To put it bluntly...yes

It is not unreasonable to create game that is inspired by Elder scrolls -- but it is unreasonable to utilise their IP without gaining permission. One other aspect you may need to also give attention to is whether in copying their underlying mechanics, you have also crossed into the patenting side of IP.

The fact that you have made some progress already and may need to undo an unknown amount in order to avoid IP issues should not steer you from the reality that you had got yourself to that point so you have demonstrated the capacity to reach that same level again :). I wish you all the best.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!