What's in a language that makes you like it

Started by
63 comments, last by cr88192 10 years, 1 month ago

for me language is the playground, i like the language to do thiings in the playground in many free not constrained ways and this is c [though i dislike its ugly syntax for passing values in and out from functions using & and * its burdensome for me]

yeah, i was wondering what was the importance of pointers.
I just found out yersterday that Dim blah As Integer is equivalent to int blah; and was wondering why they had to use 'Dim' instead of 'Create/Make Integer blah or make blah integer' or even why it had to be english.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement
The few things about c++ i don't understand why it's there is the ';', the '<<' in front of cout, the '>>' in front of cin and why it's functions and why you have to use a template/tuple/whatever else there is to return more than one variable from a function.
From lua's wikipedia article, it looks so much easier.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

What do you like about that language you use?
Do you prefer verbose over terse languages or vice versa?
After checking hello world programs in more than 50 programming languages, it makes me wonder why a person will make a language more complex than machine code.
There's the overly unreasonably terse malboge which in order to write helloworld involves no letter or number but a combination of unrelated symbols. There is also the overly verbose supernova which involves english language and nothing else.
There are also some things in some languages that look absolutely wrong. In php, you have to put '?' to print out something and somethings in c++.
There are also languages i believe should be fined/banned, e.g. brainfuck. It is easier to use assembly than malboge.
So what do you like about your programming language and makes it different.
Thanks for reading and replying

- It doesn't force me on a programming paradigm or a programming style, it doesn't put limitations on debugging (especially on virtual memory), it allow to combine with other language in some ways, it doesn't put strong limitation on system environment (ie: no proprietary hardware or operating system)..
- "Hello, world!" programs alone aren't suffice to choose, like or dislike a language but sometimes they are enough to discard a language if I see something I really dislike (as example: I really dislike "off-side rule" and really hate case insensitive programming languages).
- I think in every language there is "something wrong", sometimes due historical reasons, sometimes due companies/corporations will, sometimes due the stupidity of standardization consortium rules..
i know 'hello world' shouldn't be used to judge a language but it is the easiest most understandable code you can write with a language and few make it look super easy. The easiest is J programming language, followed by lua or perl or ruby (they use similar methods). In Java, it looked so complicated and assembly actually looked easy.
From your post, it seems like you use c++ which is multiparadigm, case sensitive etc.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Do you mind if a language is slow or fast like C or C++? C++ seems to be used by most because of its speed and the fact that its multiparadigm.
Why hasn't any language be made as fast as C? Lua is like 10x slower than C even though it's like the fastest scripting language.
What would happen if lua were a compiled language?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

for me language is the playground, i like the language to do thiings in the playground in many free not constrained ways and this is c [though i dislike its ugly syntax for passing values in and out from functions using & and * its burdensome for me]

yeah, i was wondering what was the importance of pointers.
I just found out yersterday that Dim blah As Integer is equivalent to int blah; and was wondering why they had to use 'Dim' instead of 'Create/Make Integer blah or make blah integer' or even why it had to be english.

Dartmouth BASIC (1960's) is the source of Dim in BASIC. It was only used to declare the dimensions of an array back then. Even the BASIC I used in the 1990's did not have any declarations for non-array variables.

Do you mind if a language is slow or fast like C or C++? C++ seems to be used by most because of its speed and the fact that its multiparadigm.
Why hasn't any language be made as fast as C? Lua is like 10x slower than C even though it's like the fastest scripting language.

Speed of the language is absolutely important when choosing a language for a project, but it doesn't really matter on a day-to-day basis. Even in a large project, your tests being run are usually small enough that running 100x slower than a release build wouldn't matter. Sometimes it does, but not as often as students seem to think.

No language winds up as fast as C because C does so little. It basically only adds things to the spec once compilers have gotten so good at the particular feature that the performance will be excellent. Also, most other languages are built either directly or indirectly using C (ex. allowing the ability to link to C libraries is common). Just imagine trying to write an interpreter with Lua that is faster than Lua. Pretty hard to do.

What do you like about that language you use?
Do you prefer verbose over terse languages or vice versa?
After checking hello world programs in more than 50 programming languages, it makes me wonder why a person will make a language more complex than machine code.
There's the overly unreasonably terse malboge which in order to write helloworld involves no letter or number but a combination of unrelated symbols. There is also the overly verbose supernova which involves english language and nothing else.
There are also some things in some languages that look absolutely wrong. In php, you have to put '?' to print out something and somethings in c++.
There are also languages i believe should be fined/banned, e.g. brainfuck. It is easier to use assembly than malboge.
So what do you like about your programming language and makes it different.
Thanks for reading and replying

- It doesn't force me on a programming paradigm or a programming style, it doesn't put limitations on debugging (especially on virtual memory), it allow to combine with other language in some ways, it doesn't put strong limitation on system environment (ie: no proprietary hardware or operating system)..
- "Hello, world!" programs alone aren't suffice to choose, like or dislike a language but sometimes they are enough to discard a language if I see something I really dislike (as example: I really dislike "off-side rule" and really hate case insensitive programming languages).
- I think in every language there is "something wrong", sometimes due historical reasons, sometimes due companies/corporations will, sometimes due the stupidity of standardization consortium rules..
i know 'hello world' shouldn't be used to judge a language but it is the easiest most understandable code you can write with a language and few make it look super easy. The easiest is J programming language, followed by lua or perl or ruby (they use similar methods). In Java, it looked so complicated and assembly actually looked easy.
From your post, it seems like you use c++ which is multiparadigm, case sensitive etc.

Yes, I like C++11 and also Java, but for different targets/purposes.

- I care only if I need a language that isn't itself a performance bottleneck. I also doubt that C++ is more used than C (think on all the embedded and industry system, or just at linux..)

- Don't know, maybe because C can be easily mapped/translated to ASM or machine code. Lua and C also have different purpose (dunno also if lua is the "fastest" scripting language").

- A compiled scripting language (maybe even a native compiled) would be a pain in the a...

Anyway I think it's better spending time to improve programming and engineering skills instead of searching a faster programming language.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
So speed doesn't really matter?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

So speed doesn't really matter?

Speed matters. You won't be seeing a AAA game engine made in Lua any time soon, although you might see tools for the game using Lua (WoW I think uses Lua for addons). The thing is speed of a language matters to a project manager, not to individual coders.

Languages don't have "speed". their implementations do. (Allthough some language features in higher level languages can make certain optimizations very difficult for a compiler to perform) JIT compilation as it is used by Java and C# however has its own performance advantages but it is difficult to take advantage of them on the client due to the long startup delay you get if you try to do heavy optimization when the program starts, This is one of the reasons for Javas popularity on servers. The server JVM can greatly outperform todays C and C++ compilers in code that makes heavy use of dynamic dispatch for example.

Languages such as D and Go have the potential to be as fast as C or C++ (or even faster if they become more popular) but they're not popular enough (and probably never will be due to inertia), currently the best Go compiler is quite a bit slower than Oracles Java VM or Microsofts .Net.

The compiler is ultimatly responsible for generating "optimal" assembly. The opensource community, Microsoft, (Apple ??), and CPU manufacturers push millions of dollars into compiler R&D primarily for C++ due to its popularity(The OS and/or CPU with the best performing C++ compiler has a huge advantage over the competition since the compiler has such a big impact on the final performance.

Microsoft and Oracle also push quite a bit of resources into the .Net and Java runtimes but they are far harder languages to optimize due to the safety requirements (Java also suffers quite a bit from its early focus on the Sparc CPU architecture(parts of the language can't run natively on a x86 CPU).

When it comes to scripting languages such as Lua, Python, etc the only sane option is interpretation and JIT compilation (Having to recompile your scripts using a AOT compiler before you can test even a minor change would remove one of the biggest advantages you get from a scripting language and many of these languages allow you to create and modify functions, classes, etc at runtime and have the changes take effect immediatly (this is a huge advantage when you are tweaking gameplay code as you can enter your changes using a in-game console while the game is running, see the result immediatly and save or discard your changes as you see fit rather than having to recompile and restart the application every time you wish to test a small change)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Google esoteric languages , there are tons of them, most of them are created as a joke or simply to test how far you can take language design and still get a "usable" result

, They are not intended to be used for real work.

I beg to differ.

Go, for example, is making inroads in systems programming, and I find its declaration syntax much more elegant and readable than that of C/C++.

C++ is my language of choice, because a)I cut my programming teeth on C, and b)it is powerful (which can be a boon or a bane depending on whom you ask). But I fully agree with Bjarne Stroustrup's quote:

Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement