Vector Rotation or something...

Started by
5 comments, last by AdmiralBinary 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m using Direct3D 8.1 and I want to get the camera''s viewpoint to rotate (like in an fps). Basically, I need to know how to rotate one vector around another keeping a constant distance. I''m a total newbie to 3d programming, so I''m awfully sorry if I just asked the dumbest question in the world - but hey...we all have to start sumwhere :D --------------- I finally got it all together... ...and then forgot where I put it.
Advertisement
Help!

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
quote:Original post by AdmiralBinary
I''m using Direct3D 8.1 and I want to get the camera''s viewpoint to rotate (like in an fps). Basically, I need to know how to rotate one vector around another keeping a constant distance. I''m a total newbie to 3d programming, so I''m awfully sorry if I just asked the dumbest question in the world - but hey...we all have to start sumwhere :D

I''m just wondering about the question. Do you want to know how to rotate a vector around another vector in general (math-wise) or using Direct3D?

I''''m learning, just like the best of us...
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)
Just math-wise. I dunno how to do it in openGL either.

---------------

Well, since I only know how to do 2d rotations thus far in my education I''m going to refer you to a good article I just skimmed.

Under the articles section of Gamedev, go to Programming -> Math & Physics -> Matrices.

Under there, 3rd from the bottom (Three Dimensional Rotations) of that section is a good article on 3d rotations.

If you need any help understanding or figuring out any of it, I''ll be happy to try and figure it out, since I''m also interested (of course).

I''''m learning, just like the best of us...
I'm learning, just like the best of us...Ok, now assume a spherical cow... :)
Thanxalot soulkeeper.

---------------

the answer is... quaternions...
although i cannot tell you more than that, since i haven''t had the time to figure the damn things out yet...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement