Dumbest question in the history of this forum(solved)

Started by
3 comments, last by Paradigm Shifter 10 years, 2 months ago

So, I decided to check out the new VS Express 2013 for windows, which required me to upgrade to Windows 8.1. I installed VS, created a new app from the DirectX template and debugged it to see the spinning cube.

Now it's the next day, and my question is, how do I start Visual Studio? It's not on my start page. Doing a search for VS Express brings up web pages. Do I have to hunt for the .exe in Windows Explorer? I've been a hobbyist Windows programmer for 25 years, but... I no longer know how to use my computer...

I haven't had this problem since I was 13 years old using a Commodore 64. I am very sorry.

Advertisement

Ok, I had to click the little arrow on the left column of start screen to see all my apps. Then I pinned VS to my start page so I now have a button. Sorry for posting such a question here!

You can also just hit the windows key, start typing "visual studio", and hit enter once it's icon is highlighted.

You can also just hit the windows key, start typing "visual studio", and hit enter once it's icon is highlighted.

I find the following keyboard shortcuts pretty useful in Windows 8.1:

- Win+Q will bring up the same search textbox as hitting just Win, but *without* switching to the Metro interface.

- Win+X will bring up a popup menu full of useful shortcuts, e.g. Control Panel, Shut Down, Admin Command Prompt.

I had same issue with installing Eclipse on Win7 for Android development. Where the hell is the Eclipse launcher? Not in the start menu. Can't double click on anything to open a workspace. I had to search for Eclipse.exe and pin it to the start menu. Pfft.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement