• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Abstraktion

2D SURVIVAL ''Game Engine'' ?

This topic is 2068 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys i wanted to know what engines could i use to create 2D Survival Games...?

To create games like for example; Terraria... Junk Jack (X)...

Well... A Minecraft Like Game in 2D...

Thanks! biggrin.png

Advertisement

Do you know a programming language? If so pick an engine that uses that language.

As Bratie mentioned, SFML is a good option for c++ devs. 

LWJGL and libGDX for java.

monogame for c#.

Unity3D is a good option for just about anybody, there are a lot of tutorials, and supports scripting in c# and javascript.

If you don't know any programming languages, I would recommend going for c#, python, or java first, but c++ is also an option if you are willing to work a little harder.

LWJGL is a good library for Java, however figuring out how to do the math for the terrain generation is not going to be easy.

Without a game engine I find that creating 2D maps in Java is not very difficult.

Edited by Shippou

Do you know a programming language? If so pick an engine that uses that language.

As Bratie mentioned, SFML is a good option for c++ devs. 

LWJGL and libGDX for java.

monogame for c#.

Unity3D is a good option for just about anybody, there are a lot of tutorials, and supports scripting in c# and javascript.

If you don't know any programming languages, I would recommend going for c#, python, or java first, but c++ is also an option if you are willing to work a little harder.

Thank's for your complete answer laugh.png

Well... i began a little bit learning C++ but if i start with c#, python or java will it be easier to learn c++ after??

And yeah i see Unity3D engine everywhere so i think i'll go for it! biggrin.png

LWJGL is a good library for Java, however figuring out how to do the math for the terrain generation is not going to be easy.

Without a game engine I find that creating 2D maps in Java is not very difficult.

For the random generation terrain i might be able to find some all ready codes to copy and paste them tongue.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!