retro sprite character art, feedback wanted

Started by
4 comments, last by hotmitts 10 years, 2 months ago

Classes_utd_small.jpg

Hello there, ....So these are WIP character concepts for a very retro-looking, Indie, sprite-based 2d game. I realise they're quite odd maybe, I was actually aiming for something a little odd and not-typical-game-looking. I don't know if they're really professional enough to post here but I'm not sure where else to put 'em.

Advertisement

I really like this style, they look very nice. Good job!

Don't worry about "professional" here at gamedev.net. We have some that are actually professionals, but there are plenty of new people, and plenty more in between.

About the art, I like it. In reality though, more important is what the sprites end up looking like. Now, if you used those for the "avatars" in your RPG, I'd say they are fine. In fact, I'm not saying that they aren't good, as they are. I just wanted to stress the fact that concept drawings aren't as important as the things that end up in the final work.

In any case, they are much better than anything I have drawn!

I usually visialize smaller (in pixels) "sprites" than that.

They look well detailed and show reasonable proportions.

Are they going to be animated ? Thats where the rub would be because higher detail (of these) will need higher detail motions (and more in-between frames than cruder sprites require)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

I find the faces and the posture of the characters all quite similar. It would make it way more interesting if they would have a strong/visible personality.

Just look at other game/cartoon characters, like Jafar from Aladdin for example. You can immediately see he is one of the bad guys because of his 'slender' look and face features, things like that are very important to show what kind of personality that character has, and also makes the design way more interesting wink.png

Other than that I want to say that I really like this style and also the clothing design is very well made!

hey, thanks for the feedback folks.

In answer to your question Baukje, I know what you mean ....the concept of the game is like Final Fantasy Tactics, where your character can change 'professions' at will as they level up, so it is actually supposed to be the same character in different style clothing. I found that very restricting and tried to add some details like the pony tail on the asian monk character, but they didn't like it! Also there was so much art to do, to save time I drew a single character template and drew the clothes over like a 'paper doll' (except fot the Asian Monk, which I drew while I was on holiday)

Wodin - the game designer's plan is to make models based on the concepts, animate them and then render them back to sprites - so how close the finished concepts look, I don't know yet!

thanks Vus and Kburkhart for your comments!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement