Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ubermeowmix

OpenGL What mesh file format should I be using?

This topic is 1800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

Just wondering what the best file format for objects with bones would be to go for.

I need something that is going to be Direct 11 and OpenGL 4 compliant as I would really prefer to be coding in OpenGL when I get more understanding of directx programming code.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement

Nice one, thanks. I had seen the FBX format, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't another Microsoft initiative like XNA that would be depreciated in 6 months time.

well. If you need to have a format over storing and exchanging and edit your animation data in production, the best would be the very program scene file you use (.3ds in max and so on). From there on, you should parse/script this asset to your very own interpretation. The best route from my experience.

FBX are common formats for this exchange, but I am personaly using very .3ds max scene assets

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!