• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blueskies9041

OpenGL
Using OpenGL for particle systems...

4 posts in this topic

I'm a beginner programmer taking a game programming class here in good ole Seattle. I'm ahead of my assignments and my teacher wanted me to find something to do and I decided that a particle system would be a good occupation of my time since the game I'm desining at the moment is very mega man esque (boy do I really want the charge up effect on his blaster).

So after reading multiple OpenGL tutorials I've found that I could either generate a particle system using instancing or a combination of geometry shaders and transform feedback. I've heard arguments for both, instancing will work on almost every computer but uses CPU side processing and therefore would be slower in a more graphic intensive game (not important to my 2D game at the moment), whilst geometry shaders and transform feedback would provide an immense performance increase by taking advantage of GPU processing and would be more useful to me in the future.

So, which do you guys think is a better idea? 

If you were just trying to implement a particle system for the sake of getting it done, I'd recommend you keep it simple, and generate all four vertices on the CPU and submit as indexed triangles. In a simple 2D title, neither of the more complex approaches are likely to make any material difference to the final performance. However, it sounds like pushing yourself to learn new techniques is a big part of why you want to do it.

I think instancing doesn't bring much to the table for a particle system. Per instance, you'll need to send position, size, rotation, texture coordinates and it probably won't end up measurably faster than generating and sending all four vertices.

If I understand what you mean by the geometry shader/transform feedback approach, you're talking about using the vertex shader to update your particles using transform feedback and the geometry shader when rendering to expand a single particle into a quad. That sounds much more worthwhile both in terms of learning about interesting parts of the pipeline, and for getting some impressive particle throughput if you want to reuse the system for future demos.

I'd recommend you still start with the CPU approach first though, that way you have a reference point to check that your fancy rendering path is producing correct results, you have a fallback path for older graphics cards that you can use for your game, and you have a reference point to measure the speed boost against (in a job interview situation it's always nice to have solid performance numbers if you're talking about optimisations you made).

Geometry shading is one of those things that looks great on paper and works terribly in real life. You're better off driving particle systems from the CPU. Also I've found that once you move into production with actual art goals, instancing doesn't help a lot for particles either. There's too much you want to do and instancing isn't very helpful for performance. It's easiest just to keep a double or triple buffered VBO (two or three buffers marked GL_STREAM_DRAW and switched every frame), and write the vertices manually.

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCeNzgiJ8I

I had seen the slides before but Valve released the video. First thing in the talk is a way to efficiently manage buffers for particle rendering.

The bad side is that the solution depends on ARB_buffer_storage. Which is a very, very new extension (as in only available in OpenGL 4.4 hardware). Though it explains why the conventional approach is slow, so you might get something out of it anyway.

The bad side is that the solution depends on ARB_buffer_storage. Which is a very, very new extension (as in only available in OpenGL 4.4 hardware). Though it explains why the conventional approach is slow, so you might get something out of it anyway.

That's an interesting video, but only Nvidia supports OpenGL 4.4 so far