Windows (ARGH!)

Started by
10 comments, last by bosjoh 24 years, 3 months ago
Today I saw all these Icons on my desktop, and a lot of random programs started up. The only thing to do was to reinstall windows 98. Is this some kind of virus, or some *cough* funny *cough* hacker?
Advertisement
Dude, that''s just weird. I have seen Windows pull some strange stuff before, but that''s a new one. If I had to guess, I would say that it had to come from some outside source, but who knows...
it could be that someone put a trojan on your computer like netbus...
"I have realised that maths can explain everything. How it can is unimportant, I want to know why." -Me
Well anyway, my modem wouldn''t re-install, so I bought a new one. But the connection quits every minute.
I HATE IT, I HATE IT, one more time, I HATE IT.
Has ANYONE a solution for this? Before the computer flies out of the window...
A couple years ago while I was running under windows 95 my system began to break down really really bad. In the end the only solution I had was to format my drives.

First I made sure I had a good boot disk, then I dropped to dos and killed everything (format c: ) Reinstalled from the cd's I had, but I still lost tons of stuff I still havn't found again.

It's reliable, but harsh medicine

Edited by - Atavist on 1/16/00 1:25:41 PM
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
My serial port got fried somehow and sometimes (about 1 out of 20) when I start up my computer and move my mouse, it loads up and shuts down a bunch of my installed programs. This wasn''t a virus. This wasn''t because of a faulty modem or anything. Just a fried serial port.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Bosjoh:
I''ve spent a week banging away at a network problem, turned out to be overlapping IRQ''s between my ethernet card and my video card (something that I wouldn''t have thought to check) so you might want to look and see if you have IRQ conflicts.
To do that, right click "My Computer", scroll to "Properties". Click the "Device Manager" tab, hit "View Devices by Connection". Right click "Computer", scroll to "Properties". This will list your current IRQ''s, and you can see if any overlap. The only thing you can have simultaneously on an IRQ with a piece of hardware is "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering". If that''s not the case, you need to change the IRQ of one of the devices.

I had all sorts of bizarre video card problems due to this, and my ethernet card would sometimes give a "can''t find" error, sometimes give a "ping timeout" error, but never actually connect.

Is worth a look, at least.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Finally posting a reply after all those broken connections...
The IRQ''s don''t overlap (IRQ 12: Conexant PCI modem enumerator, IRQ holder for PCI steering), so that isn''t the problem. My previous modem (that won''t install anymore) would lose a connection some times, but every minute is redicilous!
There goes the connection again...
the only cure for a fucked up windows is format c! i do it once in a while, every 4-6 months or so, really helps keeping my computer run well. ever noticed it starts running sluggish when you''ve used it a year?
One way to boost speed on your computer is to get rid of FastFind! boot that horrible program! i believe it comes with MS Office or Word or something. what it does is it creates a huge fucking index of every word you''ve ever come across on your comp and a list of the files all those words are in, so you can search through hundreds of files really fast. but after a year or two, it will just bog your computer down. DIE, FASTFIND, DIEEEEE!!!!

_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement