• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Useful things you might want to know about FBXSDK

This topic is 1367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

This might be quite useful. You should think about posting this as an article (Menu->Articles->Post an Article).
 Good work.

Thanks, this article certainly helped me with my fbx converter.

However, I noted that you extract the vertex information into seperate vertices, without checking for duplicates and such; therefore leading to unoptimized meshes. How feasible would it be if I use the addresses to the source data as comparison for duplicate vertex information?

Thanks, this article certainly helped me with my fbx converter.

However, I noted that you extract the vertex information into seperate vertices, without checking for duplicates and such; therefore leading to unoptimized meshes. How feasible would it be if I use the addresses to the source data as comparison for duplicate vertex information?

Hi. I actually handled the duplicate vertices. You can access my entire project(through my git repo) at this article: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/graphics-programming-and-theory/how-to-work-with-fbx-sdk-r3582.

The de-dup process is straightforward but in my opinion it might not be the most efficient one. 

Please let me know if you can figure out a better method.

Not trying to capture the thread, but how easy/feasible would it be to parse ASCII FBX manually without SDK? Does the format change often, any potential pitfalls etc.?

Well. I think ASCII FBX changed before, but don't quote me on that.

I am not sure why you would want to parse it directly instead of using the SDK.

It is definitely feasible.....but not easy.....

Plus, if you use the SDK, when Autodesk decides to change something, probably at worst you need to refactor/change some API calls, but if you parse it yourself, each time they change something, it is gonna be a huge pain.

Personally I do not recommend it.

Not trying to capture the thread, but how easy/feasible would it be to parse ASCII FBX manually without SDK? Does the format change often, any potential pitfalls etc.?

Well. I think ASCII FBX changed before, but don't quote me on that.

I am not sure why you would want to parse it directly instead of using the SDK.

It is definitely feasible.....but not easy.....

Plus, if you use the SDK, when Autodesk decides to change something, probably at worst you need to refactor/change some API calls, but if you parse it yourself, each time they change something, it is gonna be a huge pain.

Personally I do not recommend it.

Ok, I think i'll go with the SDK for now. The reason I asked was because I want to keep my dependencies to the minimum in cases where doing things by myself is doable quality/time-wise.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement